Upgrade from Mountain Lion to High Sierra

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
I was expecting my lady from Apple Help to call me yesterday, but unfortunately instead she e-mailed to say I was raising new issues and I would have to go through the process from the beginning again!

So, I contacted Apple Help about the FireFox upgrade, and all someone could tell me was that normally upgrades preserved bookmarks, but he didn't know about FireFox - I'd have to contact Monzilla. However, the Monzilla website doesn't help.

So, I'm still delaying upgrading.

In the meantime can I raise some minor "issues", one by one?

Mailboxes: Apart from the standard ones and those I have added (including Filed In, and one for MacForum), there are: one for Waitrose (my previous server before Plusnet); Time Machine, which contains two separate ones for Recover; Notes; Recovered. All are empty except for Recovered, which seems to contain successive drafts of a message I was writing and occasionally saving: it looks as if it saved each successive version here instead of merely altering the one in Drafts.

Then, under "Waitrose" there are duplicate boxes of Filed In, Apple, MacForum. Spam, Trash and Sent:: all of these are empty.

I tried deleting one of the extra boxes (unfortunately I can't remember which one) and lost all my e-mails! I managed somehow to retrieve them by going to Time Machine.

I'd like to delete these unwanted boxes without doing any harm!

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More niggles about Mail: I've checked 'Ping' against new messages sounds in Mail Preferences but no sound occurs. And when sending a long message there is no indication that it is being sent - I think there used to be a wheel spinning.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was expecting my lady from Apple Help to call me yesterday, but unfortunately instead she e-mailed to say I was raising new issues and I would have to go through the process from the beginning again!
More niggles about Mail: I've checked 'Ping' against new messages sounds in Mail Preferences but no sound occurs.

Not meaning to sound too blunt or abrupt, and to also save emails etc. being Trashed, it really sounds like it would really be worth your while to hire a Mac OS X Tech/Guru who also does tutoring.

But you may also find some help under the application's Help(menu) help topics.

As for deleting an unwanted surplus mailbox, try using a right-click or control-click and select the "Delete…" option.

As for FireFox and bookmarks, I tried updating it to use as my Mavericks Safari is going goofy on certain pages, and importing my Safari bookmarks and it does a terrible job, and then yesterday I went to use it, and nearly ALL the bookmarks had disappeared, and no sign of the ones I had imported. A bit of a PITA!!! Besides the fact it didn't even import ALL my Safari bookmarks.

I may have another look and maybe try importing them again later today.

BTW: FF doesn't even seem to allow one to use one's exported Safari bookmarks but a good idea to keep an exported copy as an extra backup.

PS: For your lack of sound, check the settings in System Preferences > Sound and also check that the "Mute" checkbox hasn't been enabled.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. I think you've persuaded me NOT to upgrade FireFox!

Ctrl-click works on deleting the unwanted mailboxes under Waitrose, except for Trash, where I'm told the "operation could not be completed: MCMailerror 1030".

The settings for Sound in System Preferences seem to be OK, but the only sound I get from Mail is a faint whoosh when a message has been sent.

David

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try these directions. In step 3 you can enter Time Machine through the icon in the Dock if you're more familiar with that method. In step 7 this library file is usually inside your user folder in one of the subfolders inside Pictures. If you have trouble locating it post back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@David
Thanks, Patrick. I think you've persuaded me NOT to upgrade FireFox!

Ctrl-click works on deleting the unwanted mailboxes under Waitrose, except for Trash, where I'm told the "operation could not be completed: MCMailerror 1030".

The settings for Sound in System Preferences seem to be OK, but the only sound I get from Mail is a faint whoosh when a message has been sent.

David

David, I definitely did NOT suggest to not update your FireFox, I just mentioned that it didn't do a very good job of importing my Safari bookmarks.

If your's are working fine with FF now, I would expect them to keep working with a FF update.

As for Mail's mailboxes, AFAIK you can only delete those that you have created previously. The normal and default mailboxes are immune to your deletion.

Also, Mail's sounds are rather pathetic at best and are quite limited. As is any feedback as to what it might be doing, even when sending or receiving or checking.

I think there are some hacks and mods out on the web if you want to try going that route, or used a different email client for Mac use.

Or you could add your own sounds if you like in the drop-down box in the Mail Preferences General "sound" boxes, "Add/Remove Custom Sounds…".

Heck you can even create your own appropriate sounds if you like or even have it play Beethoven's 5th overture or whatever. Maybe Vivaldi's trumpet voluntary overture. :Smirk:

EDIT:
If you like, here are some sites to check:

How to Change Sounds in Mac OS X Mail
https://www.lifewire.com/change-sounds-os-x-mail-1172742

And more here:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...dify+Mail+sound+and+actions&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS: Don't muck about in your OS X without a current backup. And personally I don't consider using TM as a reliable backup, especially when mucking about but that's just my opinion and some experiences that didn't work!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That link takes me to picbackman.com which tells me how to restore photos library from TM backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That link takes me to picbackman.com which tells me how to restore photos library from TM backup.

Sigh!!! What "link" takes you to picbackman.com???? Sigh… :[

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. Those directions were intended to answer a question in another thread. I must have posted them in the wrong place. Wonder what I posted there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that. … … … Wonder what I posted there?

Maybe a link for buying a big hat considering it doesn't seem like the execs are going to send you one??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I have to purchase one with my own funds it may be a very small hat. lol

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[What "link" takes you to picbackman.com???? Sigh…
- Patrick]

This was the link that Slydude gave me ("these directions" was highlighted):

"Try these directions. In step 3 you can enter Time Machine through the icon in the Dock if you're more familiar with that method. In step 7 this library file is usually inside your user folder in one of the subfolders inside Pictures. If you have trouble locating it post back."

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick

Thanks for the Changing Sounds sites. They all tell me to do what I’ve already done: choose Ping in Mail Preferences - but still no Ping sounds.

Incidentally, I am suddenly getting a lot of adverts between these messages, which was no happening before.

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another Mail niggle:

When sending a large file, while it was going there used to be a visual indication that it was sending - a sort of spinning wheel? This no longer happens.

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adverts problem solved! Obviously Adblocker was lost when I upgraded OS. I've installed it again and all is well.

Good to have something go smoothly!

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One last small item.

My iPhoto needs updating, but it is “currently not available in the UK”. What do I do?

David

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhoto has not been updated in some time. Which version do you have?

Apple replaced iPhoto with a newer program called Photos some time ago. Photos can read the iPhoto library. Here's a fairly thorough introduction to the program. I think it does everything iPhoto does and a bit more.

@David and Patrick this time the link goes where it is supposed to. I promise.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Photo is certainly in my dock, and it looks as if my photos from iPhoto are there, though strangely categorised. I'll check some time to see if they're all there, and explore iPhoto actions.

(Since I cannot open iPhoto I can't tell which version was there, but it would have come with Lion.)

David

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
David

If you go into Finder - Applications - iPhoto, you can just single click on it to highlight it.

Than over to the right, you will see the iPhoto icon and underneath it, the version number.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No version numbers listed on any of the applications in the Applications folder. Still, I don’t need to know if I’m using Photo now. As I said, my photos seem to be there, but I’m not sure if I like the editing options as much as the iPhoto ones.

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.