Upgrade from Mountain Lion to High Sierra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
David, the "Go" in Ian's picture is how to get to the Library as he pointed out in post #11 and 16. The Finder in the Dock is exactly the same. I don't know what the "recent" discussion has to do with anything we are discussing here. Use that "Go" menu to go to the library in YOUR account, not he Library at the root level of the drive.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
I’m still confused. The website in fact refers to El Capitan, and lists :

Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default

I can find Users from my Macintosh HD and thence Library and Application Support, but this last does not list Firefox.

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Recents comment was another illustration of things that appeared in different places from where they were in Lion Mountain Lion.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I’m still confused. The website in fact refers to El Capitan, and lists :

Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default

I can find Users from my Macintosh HD and thence Library and Application Support, but this last does not list Firefox.

David

This is a case where Find Any File.app (FAF) would be so useful to find what you're looking for. Download and install it and give it a try:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
David, you left out "username" in your description. Under Users will be individual folders for all the authorized logins on your machine. One of the will be the account into which you are logged and it's there that you find YOUR library and YOUR application support and, perhaps, YOUR Firefox stuff.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I presume my username is fielker. I can get from my HD to Users/fielker/Applications which only lists Chrome Apps.

Thanks for the FAF site. I’ll maybe try that tomorrow. (I’ve just been down to my pharmacy and in this current heat and at my age it’s exhausting!)

Unfortunately Rebecca hasn’t called.

David

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you found the Users/fielker/ folder you are almost in the right place. You can't get to the Application Support folder that you need because it is inside a hidden Library folder. To show the Library folder do the following:

Make sure you are in the Finder. Click on the Desktop if necessary. You will know you are in the right place if it says Finder in the menu bar.
2. In that menu bar find the Go meny and choose Go To Folder (Shift Command G).
3. In thesheet that appears type ~
/Library From there you should be able to find the right Application Support folder and find the Firefox folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - got there! There are a lot of files and folders. I guess bookmarkbackups is a key one. What do I do now?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - got there! There are a lot of files and folders. I guess bookmarkbackups is a key one. What do I do now?

David

If you don't know, don't muck about in there, that's why Apple made them "hidden" as users were screwing up their Macs and blaming Apple.

PS: Personally I think you're creating an unnecessary "make work" and maybe screw things up at the same time.

Just make and keep a current working backup, and if you need a backup of your bookmarks, most browsers have some method to export and save them.
My Mavericks Safari shows the Export Bookmarks under Safari -> File(menu)

Just my personal comments on the situation…

And BTW: You sure don't need extra frustration in that heat and drink lots of fluids and stay in the shade and breeze.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. I’m partially reassured, but I’ll explore tomorrow. Bedtime here in London.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. I’m partially reassured, but I’ll explore tomorrow. Bedtime here in London.

David

OK, but I'm guessing you're of us older generation as I'm told, London like New York never sleeps.

Maybe that's another reason that I live where I do on Canada's West "Wet Coast"!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick
I suppose at 86 I'm one of the older generation! Where on the West Coast - Vancouver?

The Firefox backup folder contains bookmarkbackups folder which has several files with suffix .jsnlz4, which I cannot open. Do these help to recover bookmarks if I lose them?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
David, instead of mucking about in the folder, why not just copy the ENTIRE folder to a safe place. Then if you need it, you have everything. After all, the only reason to be doing this is for a backup in case the upgrade to FF goes south, which is a low probability in the first place. So just copy it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick
I suppose at 86 I'm one of the older generation! Where on the West Coast - Vancouver?

The Firefox backup folder contains bookmarkbackups folder which has several files with suffix .jsnlz4, which I cannot open. Do these help to recover bookmarks if I lose them?

David

David, I'd agree with Jake's comments just above at most but why not just keep a current backup if you're so concerned???

And even though FF isn't always my main browser, as if that would make any difference, I've never had any problem with any Firefox update and there's sure been enough of them.

And it looks like you have 9 years on me and I live in Brentwood Bay as my specs say which is on Vancouver Island BC about 20Km North of Victoria and we live fairly close to The Butchart Gardens (a famous tourist attraction) where I worked and lived for 40 years, but now on a small hill overlooking Saanich Inlet. Unfortunately, or not, the trees have grown up to spoil our water view. Google Maps shows our place quite well, if you know where to look. :Smirk:

PS: London, UK seems like quite a large and diverse area to live in and I have no idea what part you might be in.

My father was born in the Sutton, Surrey area before he moved to Canada with his mother and sisters.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick

Just noticed your latest post, which I did not get e-mail notification of. Anyway, I've been tied up with tennis and World Cup football, and the heat continues ...

I was working at SFU in the summers of 1973, 1976 and 1977, and I had a friend in White Rock whom I visited a couple of times in the 1990s. Had friends in Duncan (later Victoria) whom I visited a few times. Lovely part of the world.

I'm in south London, near Crystal Palace.

I'm still a little confused over FireFox bookmarks, but no rush. I'm still waiting for my Apple Help lady to contact me and I'll feel safer under her guidance.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still a little confused over FireFox bookmarks, but no rush. I'm still waiting for my Apple Help lady to contact me and I'll feel safer under her guidance.

I'm glad you enjoyed my part of our world David.

As for your FF bookmarks questions or confusion, try a google search of something like:
using FireFox bookmarks Mac
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=using+FireFox+bookmarks+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Some of the tutorials should provide you with what you want.

BTW: Crystal Palace seems like a nice place to live.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I'm still waiting for Apple Help to call me back (she must have gone on holiday), I've looked at the instructions for recovering bookmarks from backup, and they begin by asking you to click on a symbol I can't seem to paste here - four short vertical lines, the fourth at an angle. I can't see this anywhere in the FireFox window.

They continue:

"... click Bookmarks. Scroll to the bottom and click Show all Bookmarks."

Well, I can click on Bookmarks in the toolbar of my screen, and then on Show all Bookmarks; however, they go on:

"In the Library window, click the  Import and Backup button and then select Restore."

I see no Library window. 'Window' in the toolbar has Library ticked, but there is no Import and Backup button.

My FireFox is 48.0.2. Are these instructions for a newer version?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey begin by asking you to click on a symbol I can't seem to paste here - four short vertical lines, the fourth at an angle. I can't see this anywhere in the FireFox window

Make sure your FF window is wide enough for them to show.

Here's an example of a not wide enough FF window, and a wide enough one to see the icon:

And BTW:
My FireFox is 48.0.2. Are these instructions for a newer version?
Your FF version is waaaay behind and the current version is 61.0.1.
Your version was released August 24, 2016!!!
Also:
End-of-life 48.0.x product line on September 20, 2016.
Last release for Mac OS X 10.6–10.8

PS: What Mac OS X version are you running and/or Mac model???

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.58.00 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.56.55 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However wide I open the window the symbols I see are: bookmark this page, show your bookmarks, save this page, display the progress of ongoing downloads, FireFox start page.

I’m now on High Sierra, recently upgraded from Mountain Lion, on an iMac, 21.5 inch, mid 2011, memory 8 GB.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m now on High Sierra, recently upgraded from Mountain Lion, on an iMac, 21.5 inch, mid 2011, memory 8 GB.

Maybe so with your macOS but your Firefox is long out of date as I mentioned and not even an old FF version 52 I had shows that bookmark icon you van't find. It uses one that looks like a clipboard.

To update your Firefox, use its About Firefox(menu) and there should be place in that box to click to update.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.