Time machine backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I had my backups going to my external drive. I just realized the warranty has expired.
So I purchased a new drive and did a backup using that.

My question is.....how do I copy the previous backups to new drive?
I want to clear all from old drive?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ok. Let me see if I understannd your situation: You have an existing Time Machine backup. You want to transfer that backup to a new drive and have Time Machine add future backups be added to the files which are now on the new drive. Is that's correct? If so, I think these directions will help. Remember that the Time Machine has to be formatted as HFS+ wztended, journaled. That can be done from within Disk Utility.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@lori

Not wanting to interfere with your thoughts on this, but may I make a couple of suggestions?

1. Just because an external hard drive has gone out of warranty doesn’t mean it’s no longer reliable.

2. Even if you buy a new external hard drive, why transfer the old TM backups? Apple Macs allow for two TM external hard drives to run concurrently. So you could keep the older drive backing up as before and the new one doing the same.

The way it works is that TM backs up to drive one, then drive two, then drive one, alternately. Best of both worlds.

I might ask why you need to keep old TM backups at all, but if you feel you must, well then, why not run them both as above?

Your choice, your Mac, your needs. I’m not trying to intrude, just offering another way of doing things.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Lori:

Moved your post here to macOS App and Games. A subject regarding Time Machine does not belong in the Lounge.

Thanks.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks sly dude for link on how to to this.

IWT.....I realize that out of warranty external drives will still work I just didn’t want to take a chance.
You know how it goes.... if you are not prepared ... something is bound to happen....lol

Great thoughts about why I even need to bother to copy old backups to new drive.
I formatted new drive and did backup right away.... so may I won’t even bother copying the old backups.
Thnx

I plan to wipe the old drive clean and give to my bro for misc use.

Chscg....sorry....I am never sure where to post questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
if you do decide to move the TM backups to the new drive, be prepared for it to take a very, very long time. I just did that and it was over 20 hours running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I plan to wipe the old drive clean and give to my bro for misc use.

If your data is critical, you might want to really consider alternating the drives by keeping one of them off your premises and alternate your backups between each drive say weekly or whatever time suits you.

Your brother can manage without the drive I'm sure. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My data is not critical at all..... the important pictures and videos and other docs are copied to another drive for extra safe keeping. So I am covered.
Sometimes I tend overthink things.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not overthought at all. The questions you have asked are the kinds of questions everyone should be asking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.