Major System Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm posting this for a friend of mine who is running OS X 10.4 on a 400Mhz Powermac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) with 1.5GB of ram.

The powermac has sat unused for around two weeks (his LCD stopped working, and he hadn't had a chance to get a new one). However, earlier today he hooked her up to a small CRT.

For some reason, the only program that will open on the computer is iTunes. Every other program just bounces in the dock and refuses to open. My friend restarted a couple times with no avail. Exposé does work, albeit with far more lag than normal (it is usually pretty smooth).

He will not have access to his OS X install DVD for another week, so starting from that to run disk permission repairs isn't immediately feasible. There is only one user account on the computer, and he cannot get into system preferences to create a new one.

Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem before he can get access to the OS X DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, assuming that Dic Utility won't open either, I can't think of anything off hand. Has he zapped the PRAM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.