• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PC Euthanasia (for a good cause)

J

jy106

Hi all,

My parents have an ancient PC, struggling on with XP. It grinds its way through the time between each crash. They have agreed that they will replace it with an iMac Intel Core Duo, when it dies (and stays dead). I was wondering, maybe it would be best to put the PC out of its misery (secretly of course). Any ideas on how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
A certain scene from "Office Space" comes to mind...

Reaction score
Unplug the PSU from the motherboard and it won't turn back on...

Or do you want to actually break it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
the above is a good idea.. if you want to actually break it.. make a small slit in one of the ribbons going to the hard drive.. do not cut any power cables.. this is not safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open the case, after unplugging it, and shove a large magnetized screwdriver in there and move it around for 4 or 5 min, see what that does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Just open it up and unhook the hard drive cable. That way, after getting the Imac and allowing some time to go by you can open the PC up and "fix it". You could then sell it if it was worth anything or part it out. Don't do something that is going to cost you to fix if you wanted to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Heck, if you dislike XP so much, why not just put Linux on the thing? Ubuntu is a really good distribution, and it works great. I set up an old PC for my mother with Ubuntu and she couldn't be happier. It stays on 24/7 and has never had a problem.

Most of us have a desire to get the latest and greatest, but I were you I wouldn't make my parents spend money unnecessarily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
meh just open it up and clip a few wires

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
or clip the fan wires and let the hardrive fry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Take it to the middle of nowhere, get a stick of dynamite, I think you can figure out the rest (remember thed running part aswell).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your father is anything like mine. I would let it die on its own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
backup, and get a virus that eats your hard drive, and then tell them that could never happen on a mac.....that'll convince youur parents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
just randomly delete system files, move stuff around or do something else that makes everything go wrong or become slow before you outright kill it or it may look odd. Make them get to the point where theyre just waiting for it to die and then do it in.

OP
J

jy106

Breaking News:

PC is dead, and my parents have acknowledged that. But now my father whats to consult Which before settling on a mac, Which! Help, I need some selling points lol.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What are your requirements?

What are you planning to use it for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Just take out the bios battery. It is easy to put back in/replace and does not cause any actual damage.

Reaction score
Just spill soda on it it will look more like an accident lol Make sure you get it in the vents though

oops to late sorry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.