• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PC Euthanasia (for a good cause)

Reaction score
just tell them with the new chips you get two for one lol either pc or Mac ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
If your parents have a decent monitor, keyboard, etc. I suggest a Mini.

If they don't, go for an iMac.

Either way, sounds like a desktop is right for them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Yeah, I'd suggest the iMac. Good price for what you get, it's all in one unit. If they need some good selling points, go to Apple's site and have them watch the commercials :p
Seriously though, the Get A Mac page on their site would have some good selling points

Reaction score
open the case, take out the memory, hard drive, and processor, put them in a box, and them pm me for the address to ship them to :dive:

OP
J

jy106

scoyne88 said:
open the case, take out the memory, hard drive, and processor, put them in a box, and them pm me for the address to ship them to :dive:

If the price is right lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I'm a big fan of CPU fan sabotage. If you disable that, the computer will boot up, run for a few, than freeze.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I know you don't need this info any more, but I wanted to put it out there for public knowledge.

OP
N

nickuss04

What I did once was move the voltage switch on the PSU from 240 to 110 volt. Turn on the power and BOOM. Gotta love the smell of fried electronics.

That of course depends on weither it has a voltage switch cuz most don't and in the US...I'd assume switching 110 to 240volt would do bugger all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Most of the more recent models of Windows machines I've seen have a dual voltage plug.

Therefore, the voltage frying would only work if the computer had an ancient operating system on it, such as Windows 2000 and a Pentium 3 processor, for example.

Reaction score
Another alternative is to convince them to donate it. I used to work for Easter Seals and they have the computer donation thing in my state. They take your so-so Windows computer and fix it up and give it to some person with a certified disability to use who couldn't otherwise afford one. They primarily want Windows machines because Microsoft has a program for giving away operating systems and software to special refurbishers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wow - digging up an old post, eh?

good idea though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Just unscrew the hard drive, make sure it's the only device on the cable, fire the PC up, lift drive while spinning and drop drive multiple times, ala dead hard drive, then while your at it, remove the batery from the mainboard and gently unseat a RAM stick one end up a bit so it doesn't make complete contact.....it's dead, won't boot and the HD will sound like a iPod clicker on steriods !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Drag it from behind your car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
Im pretty sure that computer is long gone, i mean the post was done in 2006! I actually just donated my windows pc about a month ago. Hopefully its being put to good use :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
wow, I've never seen a post this old get dug up, and people actually try to continue offering advice. The last, and only, time I actually disposed of a computer rather than sell it was an old Gateway laptop. I had a lot of fun dismantling it and just shattered the HD platters. That certainly keeps anyone from reading them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Not that this old XP machine is still running 2 years later but if you want to destroy a computer, this is how it's done...

If you want to really put that ancient thing down once and for all, open it up, make sure it's running, and pour a little water over the motherboard. Make sure, of course, the water travels all over the board. Immediately after the machine dies, AND IT WILL, unplug it from the wall, dry up any leftover evidence, and place the cover back on the machine. This will send your folks running to the Apple Store for sure! 

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Did you search for "pc euthanasia" to find this 2 year old thread?

JW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.