quick time movies no longer play

Reaction score
Hi .. I have a Mac desktop snow leopard OS X 10.6.8; When attempting to play quick time movies (e.g. img_2522.mov; DSCNO525.mov) I get msg "add'l software required; when I click link to check for the software I get "page not found". I have previously been able to play QT movies with no problem. I have Quick Time Player 7; firefox browser Vs. 48.0.2. Any suggestions for help in playing my movies would be appreciated. Thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you had issues with video playback, the default answer was always to install the Perian tools. However, those tools seem to be reaching (or reached) the end of their life. To that end, going with VLC is your best bet to play a large variety of video formats/codecs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea Raz0r. My understanding is that the .mov (QuickTime movie file) is basically a container file. The actual "movie" inside can be any one of a number of different formats. That can make it difficult to determine what codec you need to add (if it's still available). Is this happening with all of your movies that used to play properly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks .. however after d/l VLC & attempting to play movie I could get audio only,with a still picture, then the whole thing grayed out .. no movement.

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would be getting sound but no video unless the file is corrupted, but that shouldn't be happening to all of them. Out of curiosity did you change anything about your computer right before you noticed the problem starting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi .. I have a Mac desktop snow leopard OS X 10.6.8; When attempting to play quick time movies

Do you also have a QT version 10 in your Applications or Utilities folder you could try and use.

It's the QT version that enabled the QT "Pro" version if paid for and enabled.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
It's only happening with one file emailed to me from an i phone (IMG_2522.mov) I don't have any other files from this source to compare. Didn't change anything on computer before noticing problem, other than d/l the VLC file to my drive. My videos on i photo that used to play no longer play, (DSCN0293) however I had uploaded those same videos to utube a while back and they play o.k. there. Also, videos emailed to me, e.g. P1010001.MOV play o.k.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My videos on i photo that used to play no longer play,

If you did some OS X updating as I did, it killed all the various movies I used to have stored under its Movie selections.

Now it's a matter of trying different apps that can still play some of the old files, and I guess some are in an older format or something.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your version of macOS (10.6.8) is too old for QuickTime 10. Try the older version of VLC as suggested in post # 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your version of macOS (10.6.8) is too old for QuickTime 10.

Oddly , that's the version I have in my SL volume that's also registered as the "Pro" version. And also one of the reasons I asked the OP.

And I gather they don't have the Pro available to any QT version if that's possible.

EDIT: Scratch that, the SL QuickTime Player.app is the v 10.3 one, and no sign of Pro at least when running Mavericks.
My Mavericks QuickTime Player 7 is v. 7.6.6 and is the registered for Pro use.

All very confusing…

Sorry for any of my misinformation.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your version of macOS (10.6.8) is too old for QuickTime 10. Try the older version of VLC as suggested in post # 2.
Thanks for clarifying that Charlie. That's what I thought but Patrick was so sure I was starting to question my memory about this.

Hey Patrick, Did Charlie secretly hire you to keep me confused so my hat size wouldn't get any larger.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for clarifying that Charlie. That's what I thought but Patrick was so sure I was starting to question my memory about this.

Hey Patrick, Did Charlie secretly hire you to keep me confused so my hat size wouldn't get any larger.:Confused:

No real involvement with Charlie thanks Sly, and besides I thought you were still waiting for your earliest promised hat.

And BTW, now that my brain is a bit more awake this morning, my two versions of QuickTime both work in my SL 10.6.8:
QuickTime Player v. 10.0
QuickTime Player v. 7.6.6 (My registered QT Pro version). It was moved to my Utilities folder to help keep it preserved many years ago.

Hopefully that helps clear up some or your confusion or just some facts.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weeks of waiting, still no appropriately-sized hat. lol

Re QuickTime Your experience is what should have happened. My problem was I couldn't remember whether QuickTime Player X was included with Snow Leopard or not. Of course the Internet was as clear as a bucket of mud on this point as usual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weeks of waiting, still no appropriately-sized hat. lol

Re QuickTime Your experience is what should have happened. My problem was I couldn't remember whether QuickTime Player X was included with Snow Leopard or not. Of course the Internet was as clear as a bucket of mud on this point as usual.

I can't recall the details with QuickTime but I had paid for the QT Pro update and was careful to keep it protected from any OS update install.

I believe the later QT that was available to all users contained some of the Pro features but I cold seldom get most of them to work properly.

It was almost like my copy of ResEdit that I had to pay for, as well as supplying Apple a legally supported signed affidavit that I wasn't going to use it to make any weapons or deal with any Eastern country. A few things have changed just a bit. ;D

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At one point shortly after Apple changed the structure of QuickTime I had an issue where I needed to find my QT Pro registration. I went to Apple and looked the MPEG 2 codec and my QT Pro code. I don't remember if aI finally found it on their site or not. Think I finally resorted to going to the hoard of old software cluttering up one of my drives.

II you remember ResEdit you have indeed earned your stripes. I didn't use it a lot though. TBH I was a bit afraid of the damage that could be done. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
II you remember ResEdit you have indeed earned your stripes. I didn't use it a lot though. TBH I was a bit afraid of the damage that could be done. lol

I had lots of fun, and some frustrations, with ResEdit, I just wish I had had better programming skills even though I had several books on it, and even one from one of the developers.

It was just one of the ways one could customize one's Mac which seemed to be one of the popular things to do, especially if one wanted to annoy any of one's Windows using friends. But then again, who kept being friends with friends that kept using or saying their Windows was better back in those days??? :Evil:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.