how do I get OS on 2006 Macbook Pro with new drive

Reaction score
I was given a Macbook Pro, A1211, Core 2 Duo/Late 2006 with no hard drive. I put a drive in it, but I can't seem to get an OS to install. It came with Tiger but it says it can run up to Lion.
I have a friend who has a Lion disk and holding down the option key gives me a boot EFI option, but it just gives me the Apple and a spinning wheel for about 5 - 6 minutes, then the screen goes blank.
Any ideas as to what is going on? Is there such a thing as a bootable Tiger dvd?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You will need a DVD with macOS on it that will boot the 2006 MacBook Pro. Apple sells a Snow Leopard DVD (macOS 10.6.6) that will work. The cost is $19.99. I strongly suggest you forget about Tiger, Leopard, or Lion and just go for Snow Leopard as that will run best on that machine.

Buy Snow Leopard from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.