Macbook pro - screen flicker on start up

Reaction score
Hi

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) that I acquired free with a broken (cracked) screen. I replaced the screen with a new one and have a strange issue.

It works perfectly to boot into Win 10 (it already had this loaded) but after about 5 seconds the screen begins to flicker and after about 5 seconds all but the top 5mm of the screen goes into thick blurred lines. Gradually, the 5mm of clear screen increases until after c. 15 minutes it clears to about half way, and then flickers and completely clears.

At this stage the screen is flicker free, but there are faint track lines - ghosts of the flickers and if I leave somethin on screen for a few minutes then move it, it ghosts. After c. 30 minutes everything is normal and the thin g works beautifully - all software, videos, games, etc like a dream. It reboots perfectly normally. I've done this with Win 10 and the Apple OS and it is exactly the same.

If I plug in a second monitor that woks perfectly from the off, with the laptop monitor misbehaving as above.

It is temperature related, obviously, but why?

All help gratefully received.

Brendan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Now you know why it was free.

OP
G
Reaction score
Wow - way to greet a new member. Very helpful.

I already know why it was free - the screen was cracked and my firm didn't want the £750 cost of repairing it so they let me have it. Aside from the crack it is perfectly functional.

Anyone with anything helpful or constructive to add, or just the one smart Alec?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like you may have video cabling problem. Obviously, replacing the screen should eliminate the screen itself as a cause. However, there are video cable connections and the cables themselves that should be checked. Go to the this US site: www.ifixit.com and look over their take apart instructions which also should give you an idea of the cabling.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the responses - sent the screen back and tried another - £60 dearer - alternative supplier, works like a dream. I guess you get what you pay for, sometimes.

On the first one, BTY, the airport connectors were very difficult to reconnect (even more so than usual), and on the second one they just popped right on. Proper moody.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.