ASUS GT-AC5300 vs Netgear X10

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my D-Link DIR 880L with either the ASUS GT-AC5300 or Netgear Nighthawk X10. I recently upgraded to Cox Gigablast and so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these routers and can offer their opinion on which may be better. Amazon seems to be showing the X10 at 4 stars with like 21,000 reviews whereas the GT-AC5300 is only getting 3.5 with like 176 reviews. I know "better" means a lot of different things to different people so I guess when I ask which is "better," I'm simply looking for things that YOU feel is better in one router vs the other. I'll take your feedbacks and read through them to help figure out what is most important to me and ignore the rest.

It seems that ASUS received a best router of the year award from PC Gamer or something like that but while reviewing Amazon, it seems like a lot of people were dissatisfied because their connections kept dropping or resetting. The X10 didn't seem to be getting any of those negative reviews but it seems that the X10 doesn't really have a very comprehensive QOS management system from what I was reading. This seems odd to me because I would have thought that a $400 router would have some kind of QOS management even if a very basic one. I'm not worried about the AD wireless because I don't have any devices that will ever work on that spectrum.

So if it were you, which one would you buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm planning on replacing my D-Link DIR 880L with either the ASUS GT-AC5300 or Netgear Nighthawk X10.

Have you checked with or asked the Cox Gigablast techs for advice or opinion???

I would think they would have the best hands-on experiences.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.