youtube sidebar is unpopulated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7GHz i5 (27 inch mid 2011)
10.6.8 iMac, Firefox 48.0.2

Videos became unwatchable. Scratchy audio and constant buffering, so I looked for a way to buffer completely before playing.

I ended up downloading smartvideo. I don't know if it's actually on the machine, I can't find a trace of it.

Youtube is playing much better, but there is no sidebar with recommendations. All that's there is an unpopulated framework.

The sidebar is there if I start from youtube home page, but not if I type in a link or click someone else's link.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Don't know if this helps,. but I've done a bit of research on your behalf.

The smartvideo to which you refer appears to be a Firefox Add-on, rather than app. There are versions for Chrome and Safari.

So it's within Firefox that you will find it.

The problem may be that your version of Firefox is outdated given that your Mac is running Snow Leopard, 7 versions behind the current macOS.

You do seem to have had some improvement using this Add-on so it may be partially working, but with some functions being unavailable.

Sorry, but that's the best I could come up with. Not much help to you, really. Not trying to push the point, but is there a reason why you stick with 10.6.8? Even if your Mac can't run the latest macOS, it is possible to get El Capitan for example.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian:

Thanks very much for looking into it for me.

How do I search firefox for smartvideo? I don't see it in preferences. Youtube isn't in preferences either.

I made a screen shot of keyboard cat so you can see what it's doing:
http://jandssafeguard.com/keyboard_cat.png

I still use Draw for my invoices. I bought easydraw but haven't used it yet. And I think I would have to update "McCad", my pcb layout program.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi again

I don't use Firefox, but if I recall correctly, you open Firefox, then go to Firefox Preferences (shortcut is Cmd + Comma) and the look for Extensions.... or it might be Firefox > Window > Extensions. I'm basing this on Safari and Chrome which I do use and assuming Firefox will be similar.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see "window" or extensions in Firefox preferences.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not Preferences. With FF open, Window should be on the top menu bar - something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 07.34.26.png

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian:

Hey, I found it. My Firefox has "Tools" instead of "Develop", and Extensions are in there.

Ok, I'll play with the smartvideo settings, thanks very much.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that's just great. Sorry I was a bit non-specific as regards the workings of FF. I don't use it and had to guess where "Extensions" might be found based on Safari and Chrome.

Good luck.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooray! I disabled smartvideo and I have the sidebar back.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bravo. Well done and thanks for posting back.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, a tip o' the hat to you, Sir!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.