IPad mini 1st gen ideas?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My wife has bequeathed me her old iPad Mini, now replaced with the current model. I have cleaned it up, reinstalled iOS 9.3.5 which is as far as I can go.
Really it's pretty good just using native apps and I love the huge keyboard for typing as I am doing now with two fingers.
I am open to any ideas from people who have one of these great little devices, now limited to old 23bit apps. When I look to download almost any app I'm told I need to download an earlier version, if there is one.
I'm quite fond of this little device but it is quite limited. I have looked at the possibility of jail breaking it but can see no real advantages and the only jailbreak apps I can see are only semi bound options. That means any time I switch it off I would have to jailbreak it again. Is there a way I can go back to an earlier iOS like 9.3.3 and would it be worth it anyway?
Really I'm just asking for ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have one I mounted to the wall in my home theater room with a long 6 foot power cable plugged into a closeby wall jack. We use it for our video camera mounted on the front door as sort of a permanent monitor. Door bell rings, we just switch to the camera app. Also use it for weather forecasts and a clock, and other mundane things like that. Basically it's a head unit for some home type stuff. Just an idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a way I can go back to an earlier iOS like 9.3.3 and would it be worth it anyway?
Apple does not allow you to downgrade to an earlier version of iOS, and truly I don't think you would get anything more out of it by jailbreaking it vs running it on the stock iOS.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
mrkramer, it might be more correct to say Apple doesn't want you to downgrade to an earlier iOS but there are sites that have the versions stored for download as .ips files and 9.3.3 would allow me to create a "bound" version of jailbreak as opposed the the jailbreak for 9.3.5 which only seems to have a semi bound version. this would mean i would have to jailbreak it every time I turn it off and back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.