Something Like Norton Ghost for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I a new convert to the world of Macs, still trying to figure out how to do many basic things in the new paradigm.

Having been around computers for a long time, I am keenly aware that hard drives DO fail. Over time, I have developed a fairly rigorous backup regimen that has saved my bacon more than once.

I am looking for something like Norton Ghost for Mac - does such a thing exist? I am looking for a program that will take an exact copy of my hard drive and stash it safely on an external USB backup drive. The intent is to use this to recover in the event that the main drive fails. Simply replace it with a new one, boot from the "Norton Ghost" CD, and restore the backup to the fresh hard drive. Hopefully at that time, I can remove the CD and my system would boot from the newly restored hard drive.

I realize that I am approaching this from the Windows paradigm. What is the Mac way of doing this sort of thing? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
All you need to do is make an image of your drive in disk utility then you can stash it on an external drive or put it onto what ever else you want to

Reaction score

No. CCC and SuperDuper cannot do what Ghost does. Please do your research before giving people advice. Norton Ghost can create a 1-click complete working copy of an entire physical Hard Disk (including partitions). CCC and SuperDuper cannot do this - unfortunately, the best they can offer is to clone a SINGLE partition.

So, if you wanted a complete 1-click working copy of a physical hard disk with more than one partition, you're stuck.

you *MIGHT* be able to create an image with Disk Utility, and then restore the image to a new hard disk, but you would need almost double the space to do this.

Other than that, you're pretty much screwed on OS X. Just yet another shortfall of the "elite" OS X platform unfortunately.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you really have to resurrect a thread from 2006 that has long since been dead to say that OSX really is not that good because there is no Norton Ghost? And please do not insult good users here at Mac Forums.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
He didn't say they were complete analogs to programs like Ghost. He said they were the same type of program, as in, backup/recovery tools.

So, in keeping with the theme of your own sage advice, please read the entire post before leaving snarky replies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Why don't you get it right before you go dredging up a three year old thread.

If you're going to claim it as a shortfall of OS X, you will also have to claim it is a shortfall of Windows (every version) and Linux (every version) as none of them do what Norton Ghost does either.

The issue here is one of a third party developer, one that does not make operating systems btw, deciding to pick and choose which OS they want and don't want to support.

If you want to get on your high horse, why not write Norton and ask them when they're going to get off their rear and start supporting HFS+ the same as they do EXT2/3. Although, they're not really supporting the Linux crowd there either, because you still must have Windows in order to install their software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want to get on your high horse, why not write Norton and ask them when they're going to get off their rear and start supporting HFS+ the same as they do EXT2/3. Although, they're not really supporting the Linux crowd there either, because you still must have Windows in order to install their software.

Right on! Peter Norton has to get frustrated when he sees what Symantec has done to his good name with the garbage they publish and have the nerve to call software.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Right on! Peter Norton has to get frustrated when he sees what Symantec has done to his good name with the garbage they publish and have the nerve to call software.

Regards.

Well, Ghost was a decent enough product before they rebadged the Windows centric version of PQDI as Ghost a few years back. Since then Acronis has had the better disk imaging suite in my view, although I'm not sure which OSes they support these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Troll for sure!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, Ghost was a decent enough product before they rebadged the Windows centric version of PQDI as Ghost a few years back. Since then Acronis has had the better disk imaging suite in my view, although I'm not sure which OSes they support these days.

As far as I know, Acronis True Image supports Windows and Linux file systems although I have had difficulty in the past trying to recover a Ext3 partition from an image I made. The latest version I have used is TI 10. Newer versions may support other operating systems.

I agree, Ghost was a good enough application. Using the PowerQuest version of Drive Image to rebadge Ghost came shortly after Symantec purchased PowerQuest. I still have a copy of DI 2002 that I keep around - just in case. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.