more security??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
my bank has notified me of possible breach in their system. advises more security.
I was just wondering from Macs point of view...are these apps okay to run on my MPB? I already run ublock, ghostly and Adblock.
tho I guess one cannot have too much security.

any advice..for truster rapport app ..BMO Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Sounds as if you have the barricades up against adverts. Sure they are annoying but not sure they are harmful. Joking I think having three adblockers is a bit of an overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You should contact your bank, to confirm the notification you received is real. Then whatever you do to update your data, do not click on any link in any email. Go to the website and update the information there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Lori:

I agree 100% with the advice given you by Bob. Contact your bank directly, even if you have to call them on the phone or take a trip down to your local branch office. As Bob stated, do not reply to, or enter any information that is asked for in any email until you have verified the authenticity of it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Definitely do not click on any links in any email that claim to be from your bank.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I got the message from all and will pop in to local branch next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I would ask if other customers have had trouble, what kind, and how did they recover?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you pop into the local branch don't be too surprised if you have to talk to several people before getting answers. At one point one of the major credit card companies was advicating using the Mac version of Netscape Navigator/Communicator as a suggested browser long after the rest of the Mac world had moved on from that browser. Sadly, the level of knpwledge has not changed uch at some institutions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most bank websites nowadays are setup to only accept browsers that are secure. Banks really don't care if you're running macOS, Linux, or the latest version of Windows provided you abide by their rules. Banks are super sensitive about security. My son works for a well known large bank here in the US as a financial adviser. The bank he works for will not allow him to access data from home unless he's using a bank cleared device. His bank only allows access from an iPhone for example and does not allow access or the use of any other type of phone or tablet.

He also has to use a bank issued computer when he works from home. All this to say that banks and financial institutions have come a long way with regard to security and for the most part they have knowledgeable folks working for them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right about how much security has improved over the years. Thank goodness for that. I do find though that there can be quite a difference in how well-versed individual employees are in solving security questions/issues. Then again, that's true in any business/industry.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, speaking of well versed employees.... when was the last time a cable guy who came to your house knew anything about Macs? I got lucky on my last installation that the guy who came out was also a Mac user. That was a pleasure. We got my new high speed modem router setup in record time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last time I had to have a tech come to the house for Internet setup we were on dialup. It waas in the days when you had to open a couple of different control panels in System 7. The ISP's directions for Mac users ws incorrect. It talked about the need to go into the PPP panel but didn't explain how to get to the settings you needed to changed. I worked on it for a while and couldn't get it. When the tech guy came je found the problem right away.

IIRC I sat down thge next day and re-wrote their directions. It was a local company and he might have been the only one with the remotest knowledge of Macs.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I visited my bank today and was helped very easily. the email went out to all customers AND that if I was one who was affected I would have received a call last week.
so all is well.
I checked with other bank too and all is well.
WHEW...no one wants their private info etc out there for anyone to take advantage of....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.