mac wont load web pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
its on the same wifi that my new mac is on. new mac works fine. old mac wont load any web page. any ideas how to fix? its running el capitan. rebooted the router, nothing has changed on that mac but it wont load any web page in firefox or safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a DNS problem. Have you checked that out?

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
works now. not sure what was going on. the new mac all worked fine, but the old imac could not get to web pages. works now. perhaps the internet was having issues today, but it was fine in the newer mac. beats me. I was thinking DNS too. at terminal I was able to ping google.com. but the site still would not load. strange. and it worked on the other mac same wifi. if it were DNS I would think neither mac work be able to load web sites? dunno. Ok now though.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your older iMac. It could be related to the WiFi card in the machine or it could simply be a temporary glitch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, confusing isn't it? I believe you can download a copy of the AHT for your older iMac, either that or it might be on the original install disks. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Command D only works for diagnostics on late 2013 models and newer. Go through the link below, download the SHT for your precise model, drag the file to a formatted thumb drive, boot from that and run the test.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.