How to transfer full windows hard drive to mac and make it useable on mac?

Reaction score
Basically my dads windows laptop packed in so I ripped the hard drive out and managed to use his hard drive and make it into an external drive so I can run his windows that way. Is there a way I can just drag his entire windows drive on to my macbook pros drive and make it useable that way so I dont have to keep plugging the external drive in?

Is it just as simple is making a windows partition using disk utilities and then drag every single file from the windows hard drive my new partition and bam will windows work that way so its on my macbook then so I can just keep changing operating systems when needs be? or do I have to something else too to make it compatible?

Do I have to duplicate his drive somehow on to my macbook?

cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have a valid version of Windows to install on your MacBook? What version of Windows? What MacBook, and be as specific as possible, year, size, etc?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yeh it’s a real Windows it was pulled straight from a toshiba laptop. The MacBook I’m using is an early 2011 pro with 500gb hard drive.

All I’m wanting to do is basically just copy the Windows hard drive onto my MacBook so it’s the exact same so I don’t have to use it externally

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you're trying to do is not a good idea as that will likely create problems with your 2011 MBP. However, there are ways to do it. You can install a legal copy of Windows on your MBP using either Boot Camp or a virtual machine. Once Windows is installed on your MBP, you can attempt to copy some things over but most are not going to work because of registry entries and so forth.

Your best bet is to continue using it the way you are now. Much less trouble that way. You can purchase a copy of Paragon NTFS from Paragon software that will allow you to read and write to the NTFS external Windows drive. (The software above is now known as Microsoft NTFS for Windows.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yeh it’s a real Windows it was pulled straight from a toshiba laptop. The MacBook I’m using is an early 2011 pro with 500gb hard drive.

All I’m wanting to do is basically just copy the Windows hard drive onto my MacBook so it’s the exact same so I don’t have to use it externally
I understand the drive was pulled from a Toshiba computer, but the version of Windows on that drive is licensed for the Toshiba pc, not for your MB. You would need to get a standalone version of Windows for your MB.

What Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version is your MB running? What winOS version was on the Toshiba?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.