Facebook login for accounts will not accept password

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This has been happening for a week now and I am completely stumped by it.

2018-05-27 09:07:34.png

I have logged in and out of Facebook on my browser with my current password but accounts say the password is incorrect.
Should I just delete the account from system accounts and re enter it perhapes?
I dont understand why this has just started happening I have not changed my Facebook password for a month or more and I have checked my security settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Facebook has been having "adventures" for a few days because of changes they have made. Not that that helps, but just thought you'd like to know you are not alone.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hm, well it turns out my wife has been having the same issue for a week or more, she just didn't mention it. I have done a bit of reading on the subject and apparently deleting the account and re adding it doesn't help. I checked that Key Chain didn't have the wrong password or user name but it all corresponds to what I already know.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod, this remarkably commonplace at the moment. There are a couple of threads with this story; some about access to FB; some about uploading photos and so on.

By common agreement deleting the account & starting over doesn't work.

Two things seemed to help me with PW issue:

Persistence! That is, I get the Internet Accounts message. I go there, click on FB & enter the PW. It says it's incorrect. Hit Cancel. Wait a short time. Enter PW again. By the second or third attempt - enter PW - incorrect - cancel - re-enter PW; it works.

I finally got sick of this and, on a recommendation, set up and enabled 2 Factor Verification. Got FB to "trust" my iMac and iPad Pro so that 2FV will only be activated if FB is entered on another device. Since then, never had a problem.

This, of course, could be coincidence; but I think FB is pushing 2FV hard, but in the background. As Jake said, FB has altered its GUI and other bits & pieces and it's my "hunch" that they want 2FV and if you do it, you get no problems - and added security.

Just the thoughts & experience of a single person.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian, it's always nice to know it's not just me (us). Coincidentally I received a long email from the Facebook Global Chief Privacy Officer this morning listing all of the changes to their terms, data policy and cookies policy, so lots happening with them and it may well be an issue at their end. i did not get the Accounts notification this morning and I changed my password yesterday to no avail so I think I will just let it ride for now and see what happens.
I have not initiated 2FV for Facebook yet although I have with my Apple account and some others, if this problem persists I'll follow your advice, I accept this is the way of the future for the industry so probably unavoidable.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one little catch is always the verification method. I see that Facebook suggests they can either send a code via SMS (no good for me because I have different phone numbers dependent on which country I'm in) or the "Authenticator of your choice" they say. Well currently i have three Authenticators, one for Google, one for a bank and the other for Microsoft. Both the MS and Google apps were hellishly difficult to setup for second parties and Id rather not go there again.
If this is what they would like us to do it would be much better to have an Authenticator of their own. SMS verification is not good enough in these times, it needs to be device specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
If you install Facebook for your iOS device, the app has a code generator included. I always have to use that.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well in desperation I removed my Facebook account from Internet Accounts on the MBP, restarted the re added it using the details from my facebook account general details page. After 2 failed attempts to enter my password Facebook sent me a code via SMS to login on macOS. That initiated a large dialoge window with all of the things Facebook would do, eg, create a folder in contacts, allow integration with my calendar etc. I clicked allow and immediatly received two notifications, one requesting I login to my Facebook account in Internet Accounts and the other for the same thing for Contacts. On returning to Internet Accounts I was again unable to login with the same error message as before.
Also although i opted to keep my Facebook contacts on my Mac when I removed the account my Facebook Contacts folder is now empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I just tried today and my Share button worked with Facebook again, has anyone else been able to use their Share button?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It has been working for me though I have not used it in the last day or two. My problem has been getting it to scroll to the bottom of longer threads. I can go so far down and no farther. My thread about the keynote in the Mac-Forums group is a good example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Facebook has been wonky for both me and my wife the last couple of days. For her, she's getting blank pages and today had some posts from three days ago suddenly pop up in her feed. For me, nothing seems to be in any logical location in my feed. I think FB is still tinkering with it as they respond to all the bad press they have gotten lately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.