Do not open the MS Excel table 2016

Reaction score
Hi, the problem is like this, worked in the Excel spreadsheet before closing saved, turned off the computer. Resuming work in the program it turned out that was gone, all the formulas again, before exiting the program kept((( prompt please, whether probably to recover the data?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your sheet is likely gone unless you had a Time Machine backup that was running. It's very difficult to recover Office files unless you have a backup or make backups as you save. Word can make automatic backups by setting that in preferences, but as far as I can tell, Excel does not have that option.

And welcome to our forums.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
but as far as I can tell, Excel does not have that option.

Charlie; not that it matters in this case, but I think XL does have an autosave function in Preferences:

WORD

S1-Word.png

XL

S2-XL.png

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem Ian is that Auto Recovery is hit and miss with Office. I have never gotten it to work. Word does have the option I mentioned above (and that you show) but Excel and Powerpoint depend entirely on Auto Recovery. And... pray tell, where is the Auto Recovery folder? :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yep, Charlie. I use PowerPoint a great deal and manually save every couple of minutes (Cmd + S). Even then, every 30 minutes or so, if it's a long study, I save the ppt and reopen as a new version. Quite often, if I've been working on a long project, I may have saved 4 versions in a morning. So, you're quite correct. And I hadn't thought about where these Auto-Recovered versions are saved.

Big decision looming - which Office model to go for. I have 2011. Wait it out for the supposed 2019 product? 365 subscription? Will the current 2016 version last and, even then is it worth the cost - don't think so.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here Ian. I currently have and use Office 2011 when I need to exchange documents with others. Otherwise, I've switched to using the latest version of Pages for documents that I generate for my own use. I do have several large presentations that are done with Powerpoint and so far they seem to open and display well using Keynote.

We are not sure what will happen with Office 2011 when the next version of macOS is deployed to the public. Apple seems to indicate that using 32 bit apps in the next version of macOS will work but there will be compromises. I'm still try to understand what Apple means by "compromises".

MS has stated they are working on the next version of Mac Office but that could mean later this year or maybe even next year. Stand alone version? Subscription? Good questions.

Reaction score
error opening excel file

Here are top 5 recommended methods that help you to recover data from corrupt MS Excel file:

1: Try to repair it manually when MS Excel does not automatically starts File recovery mode.

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
Now select the corrupted workbook that you want to open.
Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
Choose either Repair (to recover as much of the file data) or Extract data (to extract values and formula when repair process is not successful).
2: Open with Open Office: Try to open your Excel file in Open Office. It is an open-source Office suite that is able to open & save Microsoft Excel files.

3: Save in HTML Format: Open your Excel file and save it in HTML format. By saving the workbook in HTML format, you may be able to filter out the corrupted elements.

4: Save in SYLK Format: Open your Excel file and save it in SYLK format. By saving the workbook in SYLK format, you may be able to filter out the corrupted elements.

5: Try 3rd party software

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.