• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Second Class Action Suit Filed Against Apple Regarding Keyboards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I plan to keep an eye on that. I have a macbook pro 2017 (figures I'd finally break down and actually buy a new mac - it was the word "sale"!) .

So far I have not had any of the issues with my keyboard. I did put a clear cover over the keyboard when I got it. Hopefully that will prevent the dust under the keys issue.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm sure, that is I think I'm sure, I read somewhere that you can input the serial number of a 2017 MacBook Pro to determine whether it is likely to be affected. Presumably because different manufacturing processes/standards/materials vary depending on the country of manufacture.

Has anybody come across this website? My wife's 2017 MacBook Pro is in the category involved, but was likely manufactured somewhere different from models sold in North America, for instance.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Ian
I'm sure, that is I think I'm sure, I read somewhere that you can input the serial number of a 2017 MacBook Pro to determine whether it is likely to be affected. Presumably because different manufacturing processes/standards/materials vary depending on the country of manufacture.

Has anybody come across this website? My wife's 2017 MacBook Pro is in the category involved, but was likely manufactured somewhere different from models sold in North America, for instance.

Ian

I didn't think the sticky keys was such a specific models problems but there mat be such a site.

Or were you thinking of this one:
13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Battery Replacement Program
https://www.apple.com/support/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement/

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize we started this thread a few months back but I just came across this bit of information about keyboard replacements. Looks like they are going to cover keyboard issues for select 2016 & 2017 Macbooks and Macbook Pros for fours years from the date of the first retail sale. That is a bit of something anyway. I will continue to keep my keyboard cover on mine as a preventative measure. ;D

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
Thanks for sharing this info to everyone. I came across to this thread and I googled it for more information. I have read that Apple is now facing a third class action lawsuit over MBP keyboard, saying it is a fraudulent concealment. It says that "Apple was aware the keyboard design was faulty, and deliberately hid that fact from consumers so that they would purchase the machines." This is very alarming issue to all all mac users. So, for the meantime lets all take preventive measures on our mac keyboards.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should be noted that Apple is replacing keyboards for free on those MacBook Pros which are affected. In some cases, especially on the new 2018 machines this requires not only the keyboard to be replaced but the entire top case as well. The reason for that is because the keyboard and top case are glued together. The same procedure is done as well when the battery is replaced under warranty.

krs

Reaction score
I had the keyboard replaced on one affected MacBook pro.
But I'm not sure if the replacement was the same version 1 of the keyboard with the potential problem or if they use the 2nd, better version of the keyboard as the replacement.
Anyone know?
Or is there any way to tell by looking at it orusing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I have read over on Macrumors they use the same version to replace it. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/15/third-gen-keyboard-exclusive-to-2018-macbook-pro/

As I posted above I have a 2017 MBP. I have a clear cover on the keyboard which I hope prevents any problems.

But now there is another issue that has cropped up with the screen. It seems the cable that connects the logicboard to the screen eventually wears and start a spotlighting effect and then fails. Check out the link.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-flexgate-discussion.2160010/

Lisa

krs

Reaction score
From what I have read over on Macrumors they use the same version to replace it. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/15/third-gen-keyboard-exclusive-to-2018-macbook-pro/

As I posted above I have a 2017 MBP. I have a clear cover on the keyboard which I hope prevents any problems.

But now there is another issue that has cropped up with the screen. It seems the cable that connects the logicboard to the screen eventually wears and start a spotlighting effect and then fails. Check out the link.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-flexgate-discussion.2160010/

Lisa

Thanks, I didn't realize they were on the third version of that butterfly keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5k, 27". 4.2GHz Intel Core i7 Memory, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Thank you for the link to Onyx!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.