Best VPN for mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, first post here. I've recently purchased a Macbook Air for working while travelling and I'm very happy with it. However I use public Wi-Fi a lot and I'm concerned about my security. So I've started to gather info about VPNs. I'm choosing between NordVPN and VPN.ac so far, but I'm leaning more toward NordVPN, because it has more servers. Furthermore I like the possibility of US Netflix library. Do you guys use anything? What do you think? :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks :) I've read a bit and decided to give NordVPN a try with free trial: I think I like it, don't really feel any difference in browsing and Netflix works. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
NordVPN has received the Editor's Choice from Macworld and is highly rated. Let us know how you like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I use TunnelBear myself. I have found that if you continue to watch the VPN ratings, they leapfrog each other pretty consistently. I ended up with TunnelBear because the interface is dead simple and intuitive so even my wife understands it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Me too Jake. I have TunnelBear because it's easy to run and understand. Also, they recently had a sale. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it doesn't get much simpler than "click where you want to go!" And the speeds are pretty good, too. I've use PureVPN and it was pretty good, but TB is much better as an interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also use TB on my iPhone and iPad and have it set to tunnel automatically any time it's not in the home network, including cellular. If it sees an "alien" net, it tunnels. When it gets home, it stops. No action on my part, it just happens. Nice!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I also use TB on my iPhone and iPad and have it set to tunnel automatically any time it's not in the home network, including cellular. If it sees an "alien" net, it tunnels. When it gets home, it stops. No action on my part, it just happens. Nice!
Just so I'm understanding correctly, I get that it is set to tunnel anytime you are connected to an "alien" wi-fi network. Is it tunneling if you are on cellular? If so is that only tunneling if you are "roaming"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good questions, Sly! Basically, at home I have a LAN with a local WiFi that TunnelBear is configured to see as my "home" network. I use Verizon, and have Verizon WiFi calling set up so that when there is a strong WiFi, that is used for voice instead of cellular. When I do that, the "Verizon" on the top bar changes to "VZW WiFi." Cell service at my home is dreadful, so that's a good thing that I can use VOIP that way. Now, when I leave my home and go somewhere, if there is a WiFi there, TB kicks in and tunnels me to the US location. My cellular data is also tunneled, although I think voice reverts to cellular. I know the tunneling is happening because if I do a speedtest using Ookla, it shows me at the tunnel location end, not where I am. I am more assuming that because the VZW WiFi on the top bar changes to Verizon that voice is back to cellular. Clear as mud?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's what I thought was happening. Your setup would work well for me. We are also on Verizon in large part because I can get a good signal. We were on AT&T from back in the day when they were the only US carrier for iPhone. Signal issues put a stop to that. Cable tech came to the house one day to trace an issue and was getting much better Verison signal on his phone than I had on AT&T so I switched.

I haven't looked at this type of software really but may do that this summer in between deciding whether to resurrect the chat shows in some form.

OP
L
Reaction score
I considered TB as one of the options, but I didn't really like the fact that McAfee acquired them, I think it is a pretty serious red flag. But yeah, their interface is very nice and well put. However, NordVPN's is nice too, maybe they should have explained it better that you can select any server from one country by double-clicking on in and not having to go to the full server list. Anyway, I've decided to pick up Nord. Searched online for some deals and found this coupon code USENORD99 for a 77% off, maybe it will be useful to someone :) Remove it if it is again the rules though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.