Cinema Display from 2008 working with new iMac as second screen

Reaction score
My 2008 Mac Tower died on me and I have replaced with a less robust iMac. I still have a cinema display from 2008. Is there any way to continue using it as a second monitor for my new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to provide the model, size, year and specs of your iMac, for us to be able to assist you in your quest? There should be an adapter available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you properly identified your Cinema Display, here is what Mactracker says:

The Apple Cinema display from 2008 is a 24" model:

CONNECTIONS:

Connection Mini DisplayPort
Audio Built-in 2.1 speaker system and mic
Camera Built-in iSight
Ports 3 - USB 2.0, 1 - MagSafe, 1 - Kensington security slot

POWER

Maximum Continuous Power 212W (while charging MacBook Pro)

You should be able to use that display with your iMac. Depending on which iMac you have, you will need an adapter as Bob pointed out above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It is a brand new iMac, 27", 3.4GHz, 8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory with the following connections: Headphone, SDXC card slot, USB 3, Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), Gigabit Ethernet

The specs to the cinema display I am trying to connect to the iMac can be found here: https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_23.html
So you will need a Mini DisplayPort to USB-c adapter, or cable. Do a web search, or try Amazon, ebay or monoprice for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.