Should I put Mavericks on early 2008 Macbook?

Reaction score
Yes, I know it's not officially supported. I've read that it can be down however, with some possible minor issues which should be able to be fixed.

Here's the situation: I'm addicted to buying gear, so I bought this early 2008 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz on eBay. I am have already ordered a 6 GB ram upgrade and a 500 GB SSD. I am going to be using this laptop primarily for coding/web development.

HOWEVER, this is the problem: My preferred IDE program for coding is Atom, which works only as low as Mavericks.

Now I have two options:

1. Stay with Lion and learn a new IDE, and possibly have other compatibility issues later.

2. Hack the upgrade to Mavericks and possibly have some problems (including a slower user experience), but still be able to use my preferred IDE.

So my question is, is it worth upgrading to Mavericks? I am hoping that with the performance upgrades I should be able to run Mavericks, but I don't want to do the upgrade if the computer will be sluggish because of the OS. Hopefully someone on here has done something similar and can provide some insight, thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Rather an upgrading a 10+ year old machine and finding hacks to install unsupported OS', perhaps you can save up and purchase a more recent machine and have some longevity with it.

OP
A
Reaction score
You forgot where I said "I'm addicted to buying gear."

Already own a 2015 13" Macbook Pro and a 2011 iMac. If I wanted I could get a brand new Mac, but I simply like the look of the old black macbook, and I like to use old gear for old times sake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So my question is, is it worth upgrading to Mavericks? I am hoping that with the performance upgrades I should be able to run Mavericks, but I don't want to do the upgrade if the computer will be sluggish because of the OS. Hopefully someone on here has done something similar and can provide some insight, thanks!

It sounds like you've already decided as to what you're going to do but why not confirm or ask questions at the hacker sites that will have lots more info as I don't think you'll get much feedback here and I doubt you'll get any medals or awards either.

PS: It seems a bit odd to be doing any programming or coding on a hacked Mac, at least to guarantee any reliability.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, I know it seems asinine. I'll be using the Macbook as a learning tool. Doing coding bootcamps and stuff like that. I have my 2015 Macbook Pro if I ever get a real job in this field. My Macbook Pro is full of distractions and I figured the Macbook would be good for just simple programming or text editing tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.