Powermac G5 Late 2005 Quad

Reaction score
Hi all,

i very recently picked up a Powermac G5 Late 2005 Quad 2.5Ghz machine, and whilst the machine turns on and gives display output
it does not chime, and optical out port has no red light, also rear headphone jack or front panel also don't output sound & neither does Internal Speaker, line-in does record sound
as i tested this with using LineIn application and pluged my USB headset into the mac and click the pass-thru and i can hear line in

Digital Line In just creates garbled static sound.... so any ideas why neither the internal speaker, headphone jacks front or back work??? it's stumped me
any help is much appreciated

Beyre83

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
B
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with those G5 models but you can check their specs and most basic details here if you haven't done so already:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

Check out the Ports tab section as well.

- Patrick
======

Hi thanks for you reply i have already seen that site, but as i said i get no startup chime, and internal speaker, or line out / front audio jack also no audio
only way to get any audio out of it is with a usb headset but other than that the system turns on and runs just fine but would like to fix the audio issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That model was renown for leaking its liquid coolant. Open her up and have a good look inside and the question is why buy a thirteen year old computer that can only run up to a 9 version old operating system? Special use for it?

Don't spend too much money on it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try holding down Command, Option, p, and r simultaneously immediately after you hit the power button. Continue holding those keys until it starts to boot a second time. If I remember correctly this sometimes cleared some of the issues you are having.

Harry's right about the leaks though. Give that a good check. I almost bought one of those things and later was glad I hadn't. It's the one time in years of using Apple gear that I was kinda glad something was out of my budget.

OP
B
Reaction score
It has a single pump delphi from my research thats the final fixed and deseriable lcs to have as to reason why i got it it was A very cheep and i always wanted a G5 and who can resist playing old games non emulation :) I've tried the cmd opt p r but no effect as i said no startup chime ans no audio output what so ever apart from that audio issue it seems to be strong as an ox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no audio output what so ever apart from that audio issue it seems to be strong as an ox

I believe one could use a Griffin USB iMic for both input and output with those Macs. Plus the addition of speakers and a microphone of course.

And still made and available: ;D
https://griffintechnology.com/us/imic

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can indeed use the iMic with those G5s. I used one with one of the last air-cooled G5s and it was of the same vintage as the liquid-cooled machines.

@beyre83 I'm not questioning a desire to keep those old machines running. When I got my first Intel Mac I used the G5 as a file server for our home network. I'm notorious for hanging on to machines long past the point where most folks would have retired them. The key is to not let them become a money pit.

My wife discovered that the blast of hot air coming out the back of the air-cooled ones had the benefit of being a nice foot warmer in a bind.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was sort of addressing you Sly & Harry as he asked why I am Keeping such an old system :) and Patrick that iMic could just be the ticket :) funny thing is I am currently using my Sony Wireless 2.0 PS4 headset and it works as no drivers are required for it unlike my creative omni 5.1 which requires drivers not compatible with Tiger / Leopard but I’ll definitely check out the iMic

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMic out at the time of that machine looked like this. As you can see there are no written markings to distinguish the connections. You have to rely on the symbols to distinguish the settings/connections. That's the one complaint I had with it. The newer version has better markings IMHO and should still work with your machine.

A lot of USB devices that are driverless should work with that system as long as they don't require USB 3 and don't require Intel software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMic out at the time of that machine looked like this. As you can see there are no written markings to distinguish the connections. You have to rely on the symbols to distinguish the settings/connections.

So true Slydude, and I still have such an older model in my desk drawer, and the unlabeled switch was actually backwards to what one would assume as I recall. Not logical at all.

PS: For those that don't know, the Griffin iMic acts like a mini preamp so one can use and just plugin a plain turntable to digitize old vinyl records and even a cheap, no amp microphone from a Dollar Den type store.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So true Slydude, and I still have such an older model in my desk drawer, and the unlabeled switch was actually backwards to what one would assume as I recall. Not logical at all.

- Patrick
======
I don't remember for sure, but maybe that's why I always had it set the wrong way when I needed it.

IIRC, I bought the original because I had several mics of varying quality around the house and wanted to use them with the G5. One afternoon, I spent an hour or more plugging mics into the G5 and trying to get a recording in Amadeus. Then I remembered that the input connection on the rear of the G5 was a line in connection rather than mic level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I remembered that the input connection on the rear of the G5 was a line in connection rather than mic level.

And congratulations on that part, I could never understand the different levels and types with the various audio stuff I used and was just thrilled if and when everything worked as I expected.

Then some audio geek would blow my euphoria bubble and tell me I was doing something all wrong.

My fairly acute hearing in those days could never really notice any difference. Then digital audio came on the scene, and I still couldn't hear any real improvement.

Now I'm glad if I even remember to wear my hearing aids to even hear anything properly, or at least the way the Aids I'm told have been programmed to make things sound right.

And damned if I know if they are producing analog or digital sound, but I suspect the latter.

Even they have a "switch" to use that I have to think about which way to use them correctly…. oh, all the technology improvements one needs to understand and use properly… :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes I'd like to put some of those guys in a room where they can't see the name badges on the equipment and see if they can tell the difference. Some things I can tell the difference in but often I can't.

I used to like the sound of Bose gear. A local restaurant uses what I believe are older Bose 101 speakers for the background music in their restaurant. Those speakers sound great. The Bose gear I heard a few years ago did not sound nearly as good despite being several years newer. I've noticed similar things about several other top names. Seems to me that they are resting on their laurels a bit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I used to like the sound of Bose gear. A local restaurant uses what I believe are older Bose 101 speakers for the background music in their restaurant. Those speakers sound great. The Bose gear I heard a few years ago did not sound nearly as good despite being several years newer. I've noticed similar things about several other top names. Seems to me that they are resting on their laurels a bit.

Don't remind me how much I dislike Bose and the company. I still have a pair of Bose 901 series IV speakers that I purchased some years ago. They're the large heavy polished walnut enclosed speakers with the attachable chrome stands. The speaker set also includes a Bose bass and treble booster unit. Anyway, I used them for 3 years and the cones began to flake apart and give off a muffled sound. When I contacted Bose about it, they recommended I buy a newer set. What? The doggone speakers were expensive enough and they wouldn't even warranty them past 3 years?

There's a speaker repair place in Dallas that will replace the cones and give a guarantee. I believe they quoted me a $300.00 price tag for the job. I haven't done anything with them and right now they're sitting in the living room as decorations. I replaced them with a nice set of Japanese speakers I bought from Best Buy and use those with my Yamaha receiver. The Bose bass and treble booster still works though.

Bose equipment in my opinion is overpriced and no longer made with the quality and care they were years ago. Another made in USA failure. :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bose equipment in my opinion is overpriced and no longer made with the quality and care they were years ago. Another made in USA failure. :(
I'll agree with that wholeheartedly. IIRC I considered the 901 series but the cost stopped me. If your experience is any indication, I may be glad I didn't buy them. Maybe being perpetually broke has its advantages. LOL.

I was in Mall Of America several years ago and heard one of their surround sound packages. I was not impressed. I get sound that is as good or better from four Yamaha speakers and a Yamaha subwoofer.

BTW which receiver do you have?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW which receiver do you have?

It a Yamaha RX-397 surround sound model. Nothing too sophisticated, stereo 2 channel.

We also used to have the professional model (commercial model) Yamaha surround sound unit; 500W per channel. Had more outputs/inputs that you could count including a special one for the wireless Mic which we used. It connected everything with those large BNC twist connectors. The cables alone ran around $40 each. The speakers (four each floor standing) we had were about 60 Lbs each. Of course I'm speaking now of the church equipment when we were setup in our storefront church, not our home equipment. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good choices on both fronts. I have an RX series receiver as well (667 I think). More than enough inputs and outputs to keep me busy. I've got to work on the setup a bit. SWMBO thinks the current setup is too complicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bose equipment in my opinion is overpriced and no longer made with the quality and care they were years ago.

I'll agree with that wholeheartedly.

+1 for me as well,

And the good Yamaha equipment for both indoor and outdoor use has been cheaper and better for many, many years now, and also does way better in specialized restricted directional outdoor use. Yet many are still led to believe that the big "B" stuff is better. Maybe because it costs more??? :$ ;P

SWMBO thinks the current setup is too complicated.
Not knowing your setup, but maybe consider at least a basic Harmony Remote it you have several playback options and other equipment involved.
One of the best marriage calmers I've ever purchased. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Blumoo gizmo that I am using and like. I need to fine-tune some of the macros I've created.

They seem to have gone belly up though as their site has been out-of-commission for some time. Too bad, they had been doing a pretty good job adding features and supporting the software. I asked a question shortly after I got the device and got an answer within about 5 hours after asking the question. Not bad given that I didn't ask the question till about 4:00 pm on a Friday afternoon.

Maybe someone is trying to tell me I need to try Harmony remotes again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.