How to delete folders

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my O/S which took me from iPhoto to Photos for pictures. I seem to have crated several folders which I cannot delete. I tried dragging them to the trash or clicking delete or command/delete and none of those work. Suggestions will be appreciated.

By the way, what is the difference between a folder and an album

poppi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi poppi

An Album stores photos. The Album can be created by you (File - new album) or you can create a Smart Album the same way.

A Folder only contains Albums.

So, in summary, photos go into Albums and Albums go into Folders.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi poppi

An Album stores photos. The Album can be created by you (File - new album) or you can create a Smart Album the same way.

A Folder only contains Albums.

So, in summary, photos go into Albums and Albums go into Folders.

Ian

Thank you for that clarification but I am still at a loss on how to delete either albums or folders. I have created several (in error) and I would like to delete them to relieve the clutter

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Right click on any album or folder brings up a menu which contains delete.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 22.28.48.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Depending how your Mouse is set up, a right click might have to be achieved by holding down the Control key and left click.

But what Sue said and illustrated is the usual way of deleting these.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Depending how your Mouse is set up, a right click might have to be achieved by holding down the Control key and left click.

But what Sue said and illustrated is the usual way of deleting these.

Ian

That did it. Thank you Ian

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That did it. Thank you Ian

And you might want to change your mouse click settings in case both left and right buttons are set the same as Apple used to do as a default.

System Preferences > Mouse, unless you might be using a third party mouse like Logitech.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Folders are a very useful way of organizing your albums into groups. Such as, you may have a number of albums relating to birthdays or weddings. Create folders for each of these topics and drag the albums to the respective folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.