MacBook Air shutting down

Reaction score
When I am only listening to music from my iTunes Library, my MacBook Air (mid-2013) keeps closing down. I have gone to Energy Saver in Preferences several times and changed the settings for both the Power Adapter and the Battery to Never, but this does not seem to help. How can I keep my music listening from being interrupted frequently?

Many thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Shutting down? Going to sleep? Have you noticed how long it takes for it stop? When you figure out how long, can you watch it as it begins to stop to see what's happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you post a screen shot of the SystemPreferences > Energy Saver settings/options?

OP
N
Reaction score
Shutting down? Going to sleep? Have you noticed how long it takes for it stop? When you figure out how long, can you watch it as it begins to stop to see what's happening?

When only music is being played, the MacBook usually closes down after 20-30 minutes. It gives no warning, and I have not seen anything in particular happening.

Thank you.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry narda, I think RazOrEdge was posing a question there. Is the device shutting down (turning off) or just going to sleep? I'm assuming you mean going to sleep but I could be wrong.
Are you using the device plugged into AC power or are you using it on battery? Note that there are different Power settings for Battery and AC Charger.
Check that if your Display is set to turn off after 30 min you will need to tick the "Prevent the computer from sleeping when display is off" box.
Alternatively turn on the Visualiser and see if that keeps it running.

OP
N
Reaction score
My Mac is definitely shutting down. i always use it with AC. Both the battery and ac options are set to close down after three hours; the options below are all unchecked. What and where is the Visualizer? When I am not using the Mac during the day, I usually use Lock Screen. I shut it down every night.

Thank you.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Given your reply it might not have any effect but Visualiser is a graphic display which moves in time with the music being played by iTunes. You will find it in the iTunes View Menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since you shut it down every night, I recommend you download, install, and run, Onyx, https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html. Please be sure to get the correct Onyx version, to match your macOS.

When you run Onyx, use the default settings, on the Automated tab. This will run a wide range of Apple maintenance scripts that wil clean up some aspects of your system. I don’t know if it will have an affect on this issue, but it should not hurt.

The only others options, I believe may help with this issue, would be NVRAM reset, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 and SMC reset, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, be sure to read all the information in these articles.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just one other thing, trying to think laterally, I don't suppose the device is overheating? I'm sure you would have mentioned that but just to be sure. Lastly I assume the battery is performing okay? No charging issues?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.