I cannot access folders on other Internal Hard Drives from OSX Mavericks (10.9.5)

Reaction score
I recently installed a new internal hard drive in my Mac Pro 2010 5,1 Quadcore running OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. When I try to access the other 3 internal drives in my system, I cannot access the folders for Documents, Applications, Desktop etc. They are marked with a red circle with a minis sign and error message says "I do not have permission" to access these files. I did a "repair permissions" in the Utility app, but to no avail. I'm sure there must be a simple fix. Anyone know how?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the same log on user name designated for all your internal hard drives? If you're logged on as a different user on the new hard drive, you won't have permissions to access the other internal hard drives unless you log on as Root.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will have to change folder permissions, to gain access to those folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And even if the login NAME is the same, it is not the same account as was on the old drives. Hence the blocking red icons. The name gets translated to a user number in the background, so even identical NAMEs won't share files if the ACCOUNTS are different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.