Need Help with Accessing Camera Roll Images

Reaction score
I’m trying to pull images off of my Camera Roll on my iPhone 6S with iOS 11.2 to my Mac locally and not using iCloud as I won’t sign up for that. I would like to use the Image Capture program or iPhoto and I used Dr Fone programs too but all of them say that my iPhone has a password lock on it and it can’t access my phone when I hook it up through the USB cable but I have no password active on it.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I first bought the phone and it asked me for a passcode during the first initial set up of the phone, for some reason this main passcode that I put is preventing me from accessing the photos through my Mac. Can this be correct? Or how else can I get access to empty my camera roll locally onto my Mac?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

The only thing that I can think of is that when I first bought the phone and it asked me for a passcode during the first initial set up of the phone, for some reason this main passcode that I put is preventing me from accessing the photos through my Mac. Can this be correct? Or how else can I get access to empty my camera roll locally onto my Mac?
That could well be the issue if I am understanding you correctly. If you remember it, try entering that password when you are asked for one.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
When you say you won't sign up for iCloud are you saying you do not have an iTunes account or any Apple services? If you have an iTunes account then you have an Apple ID which means even if you do not use iCloud you still have access to it. Your User name and Password are the same for all Apple services.
Secondly if you did not set your original password for your phone to be required to open/unlock the phone it is still recorded and to change it you will need to enter it.
Are you saying you have never synced your iPhone to iTunes or any other similar app like iMazing?
You may be able to download all of your camera roll to the Photos app on your computer by turning on My Photo Stream in iPhone Photos settings and in iCloud Photos settings on your computer. You do not need to turn on iCloud Photo Library.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obviously you are going to run into this problem from time to time. The way my settings are I need to enter the password after any time I turn it off or after an iOS update.
If you have never backed up the phone before your only option is to restore the phone as new, unfortunately this will erase all settings and content.
See; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

That's correct, you are required to enter that passcode in order to give access to your Mac. Do you remember the passcode you originally entered when setting up your 6s?

OP
B
Reaction score
thank you for all the speedy replies, I will try to respond to everyone here as best I can...

Slydude - it doesn't ask me for a password because I don't have it activated right now, I turn it on periodically but a pop up does ask me to "trust this computer" yes or no which I enter yes but it still doesn't give me access to the camera roll. I think the very first password I gave during initial set up is blocking this access, yet the password which I used during set up is the same that I use when I turn the passlock on or off at times. :/

Rod Sprague - I have an iTunes account and Apple ID and I never use iCloud but I use Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I don't want to upgrade it honestly. I have gone through all of them, all the Lions, Mav and Yose until I gave up and reverted back to Snow Leopard and I want to stay on it like permanently. So my new iPhone 6S won't sync with that old version of iTunes. It doesn't ask for my password, I wish it did so I can pull the images off with Image Capture or anything else like Dr Fone or iMazing but all of them ask for a passcode. ..."You may be able to download all of your camera roll to the Photos app on your computer by turning on My Photo Stream in iPhone Photos settings and in iCloud Photos settings on your computer. You do not need to turn on iCloud Photo Library."... can I do this with my iOS 11.3 not being compatible with my iTunes 10.7 perhaps? I don't want to do a full restore, I will loose contacts, notes, possibly apps, pics and vidz ofcourse so it's not a great option, and how do I know that the password thing might come up again afterwards.

chscag - yes my password is the same 4 digit code that I use when I turn the passcode lock on or off at times ...when I am with my girlfriend ;) haha so the first initial set up passcode and my continuous use one are the same which is why I'm stumped because it should work then. But I also don't get the pop up asking me for the passcode, just the "trust this computer" pop up.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Serves me right for not asking the right questions first. I made an assumption that because you were running an iPhone 6 with current iOS that you would be running a more of less current version iof macOSX. It's hard to say definitely but I would have thought you could just access the photos in your camera roll by connecting the iPhone via USB and opening iPhoto. I will have to rethink the whole issue. Sorry if I led you astray.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think the problem might be related to Image Capture.

Having done a bit of research, I've found that even when the passcode is asked and inputted, Image Capture doesn't work.

If this is your problem, and even if it isn't it will do no harm, clearing out the plist files for Image Capture is reported as being successful.

Here are two Links:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/72943/image-capture-os-x-10-6-wont-read-from-iphone
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...locked-but-when-unlocked-still-dosnt-wor?rq=1

One deals with Snow Leopard and the other with a slightly more modern OS, but both deal with Image Capture plist files.

The following is a direct quote from link 1 above for trashing the plist files:

"With ImageCapture closed, look in ~/Library/Preferences for com.apple.Image_Capture.plist and com.apple.ImageCaptureExtension2.plist - and move them to the Trash. Preferences files often become corrupt, and this is the first, easiest step."

Might want to give this a try. BTW the ~ refers to your name.

One way to get there is on a clear Desktop with Finder showing in the top menu bar, - Click on GO whilst holding down the Option Key and immediately below "Home" there is "Library", click on this to open it, then Preferences and the 2 Image Capture plist files are there - just checked.

Ian

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One way to get there is on a clear Desktop with Finder showing in the top menu bar, - Click on GO whilst holding down the Option Key and immediately below "Home" there is "Library", click on this to open it, then Preferences and the 2 Image Capture plist files are there - just checked.

Ian... not needed. He's still on Snow Leopard, user library is not hidden in Snow Leopard.

@BondAMR:

You are going to continue to run into difficulties if you insist on remaining with such an old version of macOS. Apps such as iMazing, iTunes, etc, no longer work with that old a version. Up to you of course, but you need to be aware that things are not going to get better. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Rod Sprague - no problem, most other users usually upgrade so its a natural assumption ofcourse.

IWT - interesting option, I will give it a try, but the fact that the password was still asked for with Dr Fone and iPhoto has me worried that it may not work.

chscag - "user library not hidden" ...it's one of the reasons why I reverted back to Snow Leopard because all the subsequent OSX's have become more dumbed-down into an "OSX For Dummies" platform to closely simulated to an iOS. It's a common trend for Apple to delete out great features of older OSX's. I'm aware that some things will get less likely to work, although browsers still do fine which is key. But I can still use iTunes 10.7 and stay on it, I just won't be able to sync newer iOS phones to it. I have Yosemite installed on another MacBook but the screen went dark on that one and I can't view anything, so I need a fix there somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.