Does anyone know what this is and if it is dangerous?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
The attached window opens on my iMac periodically. I always say "Terminate" but am concerned what happens when I am not at the computer. I've tried to research it but haven't found anyting useful so far. I should add that I've searched my hard drive and cannot find any files called 7za.

Thanks.

Mark

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 5.34.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
what is "ransom where"?

is it some sort of app that detects ransomware on your Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a scam. You have malware on your machine. Try using malwarebytes anti malware to clean it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. I've run Malwarebytes several times and it finds nothing. I've also done a Norton full scan and it doesn't find anything either.

Nickyr, that's a good question. I seem to remember installing it a couple of years ago at the same time I installed Malwarebytes but when I look now it is not under Applications so I'm not sure where it is on my drive. I'm wondering if that's part of the problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks chscag. I've run Malwarebytes several times and it finds nothing. I've also done a Norton full scan and it doesn't find anything either.
TBH I'd get rid of Norton. I haven't used it in years. It made installation and updating of OS X a giant pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Also, if you get any Adobe product from anywhere but Adobe, it may be carrying malware along with it. Never update any Adobe product except at the Adobe.com website that YOU put into the browser address, not clicking on some link in an email, or popup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, I also run W10 under Parallels and have Norton there. I also had a bad experience with Norton on the Mac side a few years ago so uninstalled it there. But when this 7za window started popping up I reinstalled it and so far so good.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions how I can get rid of this thing?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
7za is a compression method like ZIP, ARJ and so on. Looks like Adobe Acrobat updater is running and the update it pulled down came in a the 7za format and that's it.

On the other hand, that popup is coming from RansomWhere? which you may or may not have installed. If you have and didn't intend to, uninstall it, if you did, then learn how to use the app.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If theRansomWhere? is an app and still on your Mac - but not apparently in Applications (Not even under Applications > Utilities??) - then:

1. Open Spotlight and type in the name of the app and see if there are any hits

2. Better still, download and use a great app called EasyFind. This can show hidden files as well as the usual.

In either case, delete all those you find - unless, as Ashwin said, you want to keep it and its associated files in which case the app should be in Applications and a Google Search will no doubt locate the developer and how to use the app.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all for helping. I downloaded EasyFInd and searched for both RansomWare? and 7za and had no hits. I used various operators and included hidden files. Very strange.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you see my link and see how to uninstall RansomWhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you see this question;

[FONT=&quot]Q:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] How can I tell if RansomWhere? is installed and running? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] By design, RansomWhere? keeps a low profile and chooses not to clutter up the UI. To check if it's running, simply use [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activity Monitor.app[/FONT][FONT=&quot], select [/FONT][FONT=&quot]View->All Processes[/FONT][FONT=&quot], and look for a running process named 'RansomWhere'

from that page?[/FONT]

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Bob, I followed your advice and indeed Ransomwsare is running and the user is "Root", which I think is me as administrator. BUt why can't I find it using Spotlight or even EasyFInd?

Anyway, finding RansomWare is only the secondary question. I still need to find this 7za thing and eliminate it from my life.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 7za "thing" is part of the Adobe Updater and not something you want/need to touch. If you don't want it, then uninstall your Adobe products.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you RazOrEdge, that's all I wanted to know as the RansomWare app indicated that 7za was locking files, which is one indication of ransomware. Again, thanks to all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.