Preview icons show as icons not as image of what the photo is

Reaction score
For the past few weeks, the icons on my desktop and icons in finder for jpeg and pdf, only appear as generic jpeg and pdf icons, not as previews of what the photo or item is. This makes working with photos very difficult as to see what picture it is, I have to open it.

I have tried look at View Settings and this does not help.

Any other ideas. Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
No preview of jpegs or pdfs, only generic icon

For the past few weeks, the icons on my desktop and icons in finder for jpeg and pdf, only appear as generic jpeg and pdf icons, not as previews of what the photo or item is. This makes working with photos very difficult as to see what picture it is, I have to open it.

I have tried look at View Settings and this does not help.

If my husband opens in his account profile on his computer, he does not have this problem.

Any other ideas. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

We combined your posts into one thread and moved them here to the correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I would start up from Recovery mode, and run Disk Utility > First Aid. What version of macOS is your Mac running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.