how to restore bookmarks on chrome

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I lost my bookmarks recently. i googled for solution and followed the genereal instructions: library-application support-google-chrome-defalut-bookmarks file. However, i cannot find the folder google in my "application support" folder. I would appreciate if somebody can help me with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you can not find a folder - do you have a gmail account? If you do is Chrome signed into it? Chrome will store your bookmarks in the cloud for you and when you sign into a Chrome browser they will appear.

If you have a gmail account and your browser got signed out of your account this could cause your bookmarks to disappear.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, i cannot find the folder google in my "application support" folder. I would appreciate if somebody can help me with this.

That's because the "bookmarks" file and the "bookmarks.bak" files are buried fairly deep. Try here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/bookmarks

Remember, you have to unhide your "user name library folder" first.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As Lisa said the easiest way to ensure your Chrome bookmarks are never lost is to have a Google account, even if you dont use gMail you can have a Google account. Like iCloud it links all of your Google services like gMail, Google maps, Google Translate, Google +, etc and it syncs and saves your Bookmarks across all your devices. If you sign up you will get a gMail account by default but you don't have to use it.
Then when your Chrome browser is open just sign in with your Google ID.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.