Looking for upgrade advice - what's best for us?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here - so I have some dumb questions :)

I work for a small business that is at a jumping-off point for potential Mac upgrades. Currently I work in an art department that uses three Early 2009 Mac Pros. About 2-3 years ago my boss upgraded the drives inside to be 1TB SSDs, and that was a huge boon to the speed of our Macs which were already 6-7 years old at that point. We still do work on them every single day, running multiple Adobe applications, Spotify, internet, email, etc. all the usual stuff.

We have the money to be able to upgrade, and have the green light to spend money if we were to get something like the new 27" 5K Fusion Drive Mac Pros. This is naturally where I'm leaning. But I DO have to ask the question: do we NEED to upgrade our 2009 machines? In my limited experience it seems that nowadays things are much harder to physically upgrade. MacSales.com (where I've been getting a lot of questions answered about the breakdown between machines) tells me that the newer 2017-2018 models are difficult to swap out RAM on, cannot boost storage as easily, etc. Whereas our 2009 Mac Pro is still operating well enough for us to do our jobs, and we have been able to install Blu-Ray drives with ease. Is it crazy to think we could just buy better hard drives and SSDs down the road even a few more years, and still be using these? As of right now we ARE unable to upgrade to OS Sierra, let alone High Sierra, so I am thinking that may be a major limitation which will cause us to have to buy new models.

As a department we are quite good at using backups to keep all our files safe. We have a dedicated startup disk and backup all our files regularly, so I would say the 2009 Mac Pros are still running pretty well. The only slowdowns in my experience have been their inability (at least on my machine) to shut down properly. I cannot go to Finder > Shut Down and walk away knowing it will shut down. We have had to hard reset quite often. But everything is still operating well on the machines.

We aren't opposed to buying new Macs at all. I just wanted to rule out the possibility if a simple upgrade on internal hardware could buy us a few more years on the 2009s, and if said upgrades are something my boss and I could do in a weekend at the office with some simple tools. Here are our current specs, if this will help:

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.40.44 PM.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think for starters you shouldn't compare a machine like an iMac which is an all-in-one to a Mac Pro which was designed to be upgradable. The newer Mac Pro is less upgradeable than the previous generations for sure.

I would highly recommend not going down the Fusion drive route for any machine you choose. Those drives are perfectly fine for consumer use, but your mention of Adobe applications makes it seem like you might be doing photo/video processing for which the SSD is the best option.

You are correct in thinking that the need to even think about upgrading is going to be driven by the fact that your machine has been left behind by macOS and as of right now most applications uses OS X 10.10 Yosemite as the minimum version of the OS. Perhaps another release or two of macOS and they might jump to macOS 10.12 Sierra as the minimum and you will be facing applications that don't work well or at all.

On the other hand, if you button down the application versions and your current environment works well for your needs, perhaps you can leave upgrading out for a couple of more years.

Could you also tell us what your normal use for the machines are so that we can better recommend what makes sense to you.

OP
K
Reaction score
Could you also tell us what your normal use for the machines are so that we can better recommend what makes sense to you.

Great reply, thank you!

What we use our Macs for every day is graphic design/image manipulation. As a production artist I am almost always running Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator simultaneously, sometimes QuarkXPress, too. Sometimes we are designing signs and therefore need auxiliary applications like Word, Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Bridge, open in the background to grab text from. Plus background apps we use like Evernote, our font storage software, Spotify, and other task-based software. But really that's about it. We like to have a workspace with as much processing power as possible.

This got me thinking that we wouldn't need something like the crazy new 18-core Mac, where you might want to be running Adobe Premiere, Maya, Autodesk, or video editing software, etc. all at once. While the Adobe applications do sop up a lot of memory, I think it would be great if we could be recommended a Mac that will allow us to upgrade additional RAM if we find our programs chugging at all.

Being that we do a lot of artwork editing here, and always stay on top of industry trends, it's imperative that we have the newest Adobe CC programs, which are updating pretty frequently. So it does worry me that one day we may not be able to get support running OS Yosemite, and then we're kind of up a creek with that...

Hope that helps! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I currently have a Mac Pro that started life as a 2009 but is now a 2010. I flashed the firmware and that opened up the ability to run High Sierra. I run Adobe CC and most of the apps you are using. It is an option to extend the life of your current 2009s.

Some links to explain how to upgrade your Mac Pros:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-5-1-upgrade-guide-sticky-discussion.2099092/

Firmware upgrade tool download:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?P...ji3a33ctfhfjqk6laqp&topic=852.msg5004#msg5004

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.