How to transfer Contacts from Android phone to iPhone 8

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good evening my friends.

Not sure this is the best place for my question......but maybe close enough.

My wife and I have purchased a brand new iPhone 8 for a very dear friend.

She has an iPad Air and an Apple ID, including an iCloud email address. But does not have her contacts on it nor backed up on iCloud.

She does not have a Mac but her husband does have iTunes on his Windows 7 PC.

Her current phone is an LG and that is the only place on which she has her contacts.

By what means can I transfer her contacts to her new iPhone 8?

I'm aware of the Android File Transfer app, but I'm not sure this would transfer her contacts to an iPhone??

It is only contacts that are in consideration here. (Not calendars or notes....nothing else).

As always, I'm most grateful to anyone who has the time to reply.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If it has Android on it, it usually is associated with a gmail account. Should be able to get the to sync with iCloud through gmail to iCloud.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks, Bob; but to the best of my knowledge she has never had a Gmail account in her life.

Years ago, in the mists of time, she had a Hotmail account, but neither that nor her previous work email were ever associated with her phone - the current one or an ancient Flip-over phone. Getting her iPad Air necessitated having an Apple ID with which she got her iCloud email account.

But I'm most grateful for your thoughtful reply.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I'm almost positive, that in order to get apps for Android, google/gmail is required, but I haven't used Android in 6 years. You got me wondering, and I found this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, Bob, that's a great start. Thank you so much.

Now, it's her birthday on 3 May and that is when the transfer starts. The iPhone is already bought (Still in box) so 3 May is when the fun begins - so to speak.

There is no concern about apps or anything else. As she has an iPad and iCloud, retrieving the apps she has on her iPad isn't an issue. The only concern I had was contacts and, hopefully, you've solved that for me (us) - guess who's taking responsibility for all this?:)O:)

Double jeopardy for me as my wife is her best friend......... you can guess the rest. No pressure, of course.... huh!

Thanks

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Patrick. You're perfectly right. I should have done that first. Naughty me.........

I just wanted my hand held on this one. Marriage at stake here - see #5.

Thanks as always, Patrick.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Marriage at stake here - see #5.

Ian
Nah. Marriage at stake is accidentally erasing a 100 MB Syquest cartridge containing quite a bit of your wife's data and none of yours. You will not be allowed to forget that my friend. Don't ask how I know this. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Patrick. You're perfectly right. I should have done that first. Naughty me.........

I just wanted my hand held on this one. Marriage at stake here - see #5.

Ian

@Ian,
I just added it in case no member posted with their own experience and just in case it was needed as an alternative in case it got overlooked.

PS: I was pretty sure there was some sort of wireless transfer available between some Android and iPhones builtin to the new iPhones, just for the reason you're looking for. And I'm sure it's not from some mental dream I was having.
Something like putting the two devices close together, but not sure what else is involved.

Anyway, a **** good idea even if it doesn't exist!!! ;D

EDIT:
Yup!!!
Have a look here:
https://mashtips.com/smart-phone-share-files-without-data-wi-fi/
and several others here:
wireless transfer available between some Android and iPhones
https://www.google.com/search?clien...en+some+Android+and+iPhones&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And you do have a backup right???

We do need to save your marriage and BTW, it's my wife's and my 39th wedding anniversary today.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We do need to save your marriage and BTW, it's my wife's and my 39th wedding anniversary today.

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. I've only been with my better half for 36 years. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

- Patrick
======
Happy Anniversary. If I were nearby I'd hoist a toast in honor of the occasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. I've only been with my better half for 36 years. :)

Happy Anniversary. If I were nearby I'd hoist a toast in honor of the occasion.

Thanks for your happy wishes. We had a nice casual "anniversary lunch" down at the local waterfront Seahorse Cafe.
The other nice waterfront place, Blues Bayou Cafe, know as "A Little Taste Of New Orleans" isn't open until May:
https://www.bluesbayoucafe.com

And as a PS: you don't have to be nearby to hoist a toast, as any excuse should work. And I guess you'd prefer some of that famous southern booze you make down there. ;D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Emily. The big day is 3 May which is my friend's birthday.

I shall take all advice into consideration and, who knows, I might get it right!

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FOLLOW-UP

The matter was resolved with the minimum of fuss!

The lady in question transferred her Contacts to her SIM card on her LG phone.

I put the same SIM card into the iPhone 8, went into Settings > Contacts > Import Contacts from SIM.

Job done in about 30 seconds.

This proved far easier than the many ways suggested by a Google search. Most of the suggested methods involved Google and Gmail, creating V Cards and transferring them to iCloud then syncing with the iPhone by signing into iCloud.

I've no doubt any of these would have worked, but seemed cumbersome to my simple mind.

I'm glad to report that her new iPhone 8 is fully functioning and the lady and my wife are very happy. My relief can be imagined;D

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad to report that her new iPhone 8 is fully functioning and the lady and my wife are very happy. My relief can be imagined

Ian

Sounds like a good time to celebrate with them down at one of your "locals" Ian!!

PS: We're visiting my son Ian and his wife and family in Okotoks Alberta for a week. So someone else with a good first name it seems. ;D

BTW: Their new timber-built home(huge) is a neighbour to the "Big Rock" which is a rather strange phenemom for the area:
https://www.google.com/destination/...5oMKHbCQBd0Q69EBCDwoATAB#trifp=skpm=/m/06g8dt

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.