Text Messaging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I have SIRI setup on my iPhone SE and its works just fine.
I was trying to show a friend how to set it up on her iPad.
so we did it together.. on our respective iPads.
even tho I went thru all the setup, I could not get SIRI to say anything. tried the voice activate and the home button activate. nothing would work. so I gave up.

later, at home, when working on cleaning up some of my text messages on iPad...I notice I had red circle indicating I had 2 new message. I looked and there were no new ones. I could not get this to disappear. I checked on iPhone and MBP and no red circle indicating new messages.
I turned POWER off on iPad and let it set for a bit.

then went back and the red circle was still there. so I deleted all the messages I had thinking that would clear it.
nope...still there.

looks like I am stuck somewhere and don't know how to fix it!!
anyone have any ideas???

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A few iterations ago, SIRI lost its initial prompt voice, you just see the waveform responding to your query but it should indeed speak back its response to your query.

As far as the message indicator goes, does it have a number associated with it or just a red dot? If clearing all your message and power-cycling didn't "fix" it, then you might want to try a reset (hold down Power and Home buttons until the device restarts) and see if that takes care of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I used to have this same type of issue with my Reminders app on my mini.

One of the fixes, I read about was to sign out of iCloud, on the device with the issue. Then restart the device, either power off/on or hard restart. And sign back in to iCloud.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
sign out of iCloud, on the device with the issue. Then restart the device, either power off/on or hard restart. And sign back in to iCloud.

+1 for Bob's advice. Had to do just that with similar problem on my wife's iPhone 7.

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ash win....I already did a shut power off and that made no difference.
The red dots has 2 in it indicating 2 new messages.
Bob... thnx... will try signing out of iCloud on iPad etc and see if that works.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well not sure if I got the correct area to turn iCloud off.
Went to settings.. iCloud.. scroll to bottom and found does off iCloud Drive.
Is that the one?
Powered off and then back on.....Still the same
Mayb I was in the wrong area

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What iOS version?

When I go into Settings, my Apple ID is at the top, I can select that, and that is where the option is to sign out of iCloud is.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Assuming you have the latest iOS (11.3), Go into Settings > Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes etc which is at the top of the list in Settings.

Scroll to the very bottom > "Sign Out"

If you have an older iOS (that is before Apple ID and the others indicated above were amalgamated together), then Settings > iCloud > Sign Out - this is from memory as that iOS was way back.

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I found the correct area. Signed out of iCloud ok. Asked if I wanted to keep contacts on iPad. I said yes.
Then turned power off.
Then-powered back up again and proceeded to sign back on to iCloud.
After enter Apple ID pw....was asked if wanted to merge I said yes......
Then got message problem with merging (don’t know exactly what is merging, but I didn’t want to lose my contacts)
but it continued to load iCloud. It went for 10minutes then I had to go out.
Upon returning several hours later .... it was still loading!

I looked in settings and it said iCloud was on.... so I guess all is okay.
Thnx for your reply’s and guidance

However I still have red circle with 2 inside by my messages iconwhich I guess i will have to live with .... until I can get some personal help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lori:

Don't forget what we discussed some time ago about backing up your contacts. As long as your contacts are backed up, even if they are lost on your iPad or iPhone, you can enter iCloud.com and restore them to your iPhone or iPad from your backup. Therefore, it's important to keep your contacts backup up to date.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out awhile ago with regard to contacts that iCloud.com has incorrect list of contacts. So I am not about to restore my devices with iCloud contacts!
Got help with getting all contacts on my 3 devices the same so am okay with that. I have gmail account which makes a difference so I am told by an apple rep.
I have made a separate backup of contacts just in case.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With regard to text message icon issue...I ended up chatting with apple who helped fix it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
With regard to text message icon issue...I ended up chatting with apple who helped fix it.
Just out of curiosity, what did they suggest?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just knew someone was going to ask and that is good. because may help others too. after he guided me to settings to turn iMessage off then back on. turn off/on notifications did not do the trick. he said because I had not yet done a backup of my iPad via iTunes...we would do that. then reset my iPad as if new device and then restore from the backup. that did the trick.

which is great but I still wonder what I did to make that happen. that's just my brain kicking in and always wanting to know why and how!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.