HELP - external drive permissions

Reaction score
Just got my new Macbook - yes, I am a switcher. I had an external drive I used with Winblows...now when I hook it up to the macbook, it says I only have read permissions (on the whole disk). I noticed it is using the NT file system. How do I change the permissions so that I can read and write to the disk. Does it have to do with the file system as I suspect? Help, I am clue-less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
OS X can only read the NTFS file system. You can back up your files somewhere and then reformat the drive with Disk Utility.

B

b.hicks

timswim78 said:
OS X can only read the NTFS file system. You can back up your files somewhere and then reformat the drive with Disk Utility.

Hey, welcome to the fold. As stated above, OS X can only read NTFS, however OS X can read and write the previous PC file format called Fat32. I also use an external HD with my Macbook that must be read/write capable with both OS X and Windows. I used Partition Magic on a PC to convert my external HD to Fat32 from NTFS. This can be done without having to reformat the drive and without losing the data on the drive. I'm sure there are other utilities available for the Mac that can do the same. I'll have a look and if I find something, I'll post it in another reply.

Again, Welcome.
Brian.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.