Which Mac for audio, surfing and Office 2004?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 500 Beige
Hi,
I am considering to buy a Mac Mini (or an Imac) with 1 GB RAM.
Which machine would be the best choice?
-for converting LPs to Cds? (good noise free audio-input in import, no hum, I am using Toast 7 and CD Spin Doctor)
-surfing the web
-editing large docs with illustrations and formulas with Office 2004
-watching DVDs (if possible connect to a B&O TV)
I don't play games, I don't watch Quicktime trailers and I won't use heavy video-editing software.
However, I would like to see a speed boost compared to my current G4 500.
I prefer a Mac Mini, but I wonder wether the hard drive isn't too slow...
And I am also afraid that some applications such as CD Spin Doctor will run slow under Rosetta...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
greetings
MHF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Hard drive speed doesn't show a major difference, at least not on my mac.

Of course the apps run slow under Rosetta, always assume they will. There are SOME apps that will run fine, but the majority suck.

I say you're good with the Mac Mini, but as always, go for the iMac, you get higher processing speed.

But from what it looks like what you're doing, the Mini should be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
BlindingLights said:
Hard drive speed doesn't show a major difference, at least not on my mac.

Of course the apps run slow under Rosetta, always assume they will. There are SOME apps that will run fine, but the majority suck.

I say you're good with the Mac Mini, but as always, go for the iMac, you get higher processing speed.

But from what it looks like what you're doing, the Mini should be okay.

the mac mini is good 1 gb of ram is also a good start. just make sure you get the dual core if you plan on watching HD video.

B

Badger

I'm using a mini G4 to do many of the things you list. I've digitalized about 150 LPs and tapes so far using Griffin's iMic, turntable adapter and (free) Final Vinyl software. Once the music is in the mini I use Toast (5 & 6) to burn the CDs. My wife does large documents using MS Office 2004 without problems. While I do watch DVDs once in a while I've never hooked it up to a TV. As far as the web goes, any current mac will be satisfactory. I got the Superdrive model and the only hardware change I've made was to up the RAM to 1 GB. You should have no problems using the mini for what you want.

Reaction score
I tihnk the mini will serve your needs nicely be it in either G4 or Intel guise, however as someone has said elsewhere if you plan on doing much HD stuff you need a dual core with extra ram, I use a 17 inch Mactel imac with 2GB and this runs 720 nicely whereas my old G5 imac was choppy, bearing in mind the Mac mini is less powerful and you should be alright.

A tip I do have is burn a disc with some HD content on it and pop along to a mac store, then try it in a few different spec'd mac minis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.