what router do folks use with their Mac? new router suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27" 2.66GHz i5 1TB HDD 12GRAM
Hi,
I am getting a new Mac for home use and am ready to upgrade my wireless router as well. I have been using an Airport express for years, which doesn't support .ac.
My new Mac will be 802.ac compatible . Another thing is I want to be able to hang a HDD off the router USB port and use it as shared storage.

I want a router that works well with Macs.

Any suggestions? ... good success stories?

Thx,
Rob

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, live in New Hampshire.

Ugh .. the better rated ones are > $200. I'm keeping my budget at $150 max.

I googled this question and got all sorts of reviews with all sorts of results.
My goal is a simple to setup router that is a step up from my AE.

Years back I had a Linksys router and it was a PITA to setup and get configured properly.
Now, I'm an old fart and have no patience for that. : )
Plus, I've been spoiled by Apple products ease of setup.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want a router that works well with Macs.

Years back I had a Linksys router and it was a PITA to setup and get configured properly.

I don't think it's so much what router works well with Mac's...it's more about what you mentioned you want a router that's easy to setup.

I have WiFi 2 routers. An older model Apple Time Machine (which of course has the hard drive inside for backups)...but mostly using the WiFi router supplied by my cable company (free).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you mentioned with your old Linksys router...you want something easy to setup. Traditionally the manufacturers of routers went out of their way to make setup easy for Windows users...but usually left Apple users mostly in the dark. Definitely look for something that is easy to setup. Which may mean looking for a router that specifically says it has a setup procedure for Apple products.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
You have to buy a router in the US?? In the UK your broadband supplier provides them, generally free.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have Comc@st for my ISP and they do not offer wireless routers, or make any recommendations. I've already tried.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple still sells Time Capsules (Wifi Router + hard drive for Time Machine backups). I know it costs more ($299) than what you mentioned was your budget ($150)...but they are pretty nice & convenient.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/ME177LL/A/airport-time-capsule-2tb?fnode=7f

Then there's the Airport Extreme for $199. Same as the Time Capsule...but without the builtin hard drive for wireless backups:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/ME918LL/A/airport-extreme?fnode=7f

Some folks are opposed to purchasing anything used. If you don't have an issue purchasing something used...I would go to eBay & purchase one of these units used & save some $$.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
This is the one provided by my UK broadband supplier. It provides wifi for my MBP, TV, digital recorder, iPhone and iPad, sometimes several at once. About £35 on Amazon. I use two wifi extenders plugged into my electric sockets.

Don't know whether this will be available in the US, though it is manufactured in Taiwan http://www.mbreviews.com/d-link-dsl-3782-adslvdsl-modem-router-review/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now, I'm an old fart and have no patience for that. : )
Plus, I've been spoiled by Apple products ease of setup.

Then blow your estimated budget and get the Apple AirPort Extreme that's only $50.00 over. And one of the top wireless routers made and easy Apple setup and support.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then blow your estimated budget and get the Apple AirPort Extreme that's only $50.00 over. And one of the top wireless routers made and easy Apple setup and support. - Patrick ======

As long as he realizes that Apple is out of the Airport making business and will likely drop support for their Airport devices when they become obsolete. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as he realizes that Apple is out of the Airport making business and will likely drop support for their Airport devices when they become obsolete. :(

And by that time they'll probably need another replacement. Maybe.
In the meantime it'll just work with easy setup.

For my experience with our AirPort Express replacement, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
router upgrade from AEBS-n?

I've been using and Airport Extreme-n Wifi router for many years now. It has been very reliable and I loved the plugnplay setup! Now, I am getting a new Mac 27"- 2018 with 802.11ac and think it's time for a router refresh.

My setup:

router in TV/living room
4K smart TV and my Mac in same room, connected via Wifi to router (minimize cables)
ipads and iphones either upstairs or in finished basement

I know I should use cable connection for the Mac and the TV (same room as router) and I may still do that but, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of running cables in the room.

So, I am considering upgrading router to the AEBS-ac, the .ac version of the Apple router. I know it's not the fastest out there but, at least it doesn't look like a big, black alien spider sitting in my living room!

I also like Apple's ease of setup of the Apple router.

Question: Is the newer AEBS-ac worth the upgrade from the AEBS-n? Will I see a difference?

Are there better options/router models that are just as easy to setup?

Thx.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - Please keep discussion about the same topic in a single thread, there is no need to start a new thread since you've already gotten responses to your first thread. If you have more detail/info to add, add it to the existing thread.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like a router with good range. The Google OnHub looks interesting.
Anyone use one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I should use cable connection for the Mac and the TV (same room as router) and I may still do that but, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of running cables in the room.
Preferred connection method but if forced to accommodate wife's choice, there are adapters that use your existing house wiring and I understand some have improved substantially. Personally I'd go with the wires and they can be well camouflaged and wife probably wouldn't even notice.

Are there better options/router models that are just as easy to setup?
Yes, to the first part, but you'll probably have to spend several hundreds dollars more. No, as to as easy setup, but they can probably do more customization if you might need such functions.

BTW: The later Airport Extreme generation routers are completely different beasts compared to most earlier models:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-between-802.11n-802.11a-802.11b-802.11g.html

PS: Actually Apple's current Airport routers are one of Apple's best buys, not overpriced routers, compared to most other similar brand products.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have three Airport Time Capsules. They have 802.11ac and are highly reliable. I have two at work to back up our macs and when I need fast wireless speed they are the best. I have other wireless access points but my Time Capsules are always faster and more reliable. I also use one at home and the range on it is awesome. It covers my whole house and I live in a large solid brick farm house. Just my two cents worth. ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Not that it's going to help you much in the US but I have a Technicolor 589 VAC V2 connected to my fibre broadband line, this feeds, in bridge mode, to an Airport Extreme which in turn feeds into a BT Whole Home 4 unit mesh network. Yes, the Airport is redundant but it was there before the recently installed mesh system and has a printer and iMac connected directly to it and I can't face re-configuring the Technicolor. Neither the Technicolor nor Airport have wifi enabled. One day, when I have absolutely nothing else to do, or places to go, and I'm feeling especially masochistic I'll remove the Airport from the set up, but as the saying goes... if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Incidentally, the mesh setup has given only marginally better coverage than the Airport alone and was probably not worth the £200 outlay. Such a shame Apple are discontinuing the Airport.. a great piece of kit and relatively easy to set up and modify.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Such a shame Apple are discontinuing the Airport.. a great piece of kit and relatively easy to set up and modify.

And that's a definite +1 for that statement.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Such a shame Apple are discontinuing the Airport.. a great piece of kit and relatively easy to set up and modify.

+2. But not much one can modify with its locked down configuration setup that I know of, but not many would need to I would think.

EDIT:
I was thinking of the "DD-WRT" type mods, but that's different topic or need. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.