Facebook Log Off

Reaction score
Can any one advise how to stop Safari logging me into Facebook automatically when I open the webpage - it does this every time even when I have gone to my safari preferences and clicked off auto login?? HELP!! after yesterday's revelations on Capital Hill I really don't want to be logged in when I am not actively using the website!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Could be that you have Facebook set as your home page in Safari or you should change your Facebook settings so you have to sign in every time. Best to install Adblock, Ghostery (stops tracking) and FB Purity (all free) to minimise any cross over of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Adding to the good advice from Sue - Open Safari and click on the word Safari (upper left corner) on the menu bar.

Under the drop down menu click Preferences. On the General tab check and see what Homepage is listed and change that to something else if it is Facebook.

Now - still in preferences - click on the Passwords tab. You will have to input your password for your mac to access it. Delete any password (including Facebook) that you do not what Safari to "remember". That should fix the issue.

Lsia

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you don't visit the Facebook website, it doesn't matter if you are logged in or not. The way Facebook can remember your information is by storing a cookie in your browser with your credentials so that you don't have to repeatedly login.

If you don't wish to have any of this, then you should always browse in a Private window and disable storing cookies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When you don't visit the Facebook website, it doesn't matter if you are logged in or not. The way Facebook can remember your information is by storing a cookie in your browser with your credentials so that you don't have to repeatedly login.

Interesting isn't it Ashwin, and just about pretty well the same way that Amazon, Google, Apple and almost every website out there can and still probably does do. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's all in the cookies where the magic happens. If you want to totally break every site, disable cookies and javascript and your entire experience is ruined unfortunately.

Reaction score
You can use an app called Cookie which will delete all your cookies except the ones you want to keep when ever you quit your browser. Pain in the butt but it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You can use an app called Cookie which will delete all your cookies except the ones you want to keep when ever you quit your browser. Pain in the butt but it works.

What would be wrong with just enabling Safari's "Private Browsing…" for those who are concerned about their "cookie trail and captured info"???

Then there shouldn't be any to even delete I suspect. But I'm just assuming that what it does — stops any tracking or harvesting???

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

+1 for recommendation and +1 for "Pain in the butt" - whatever that means as I'm an ignorant Brit:);D

Ian

Reaction score
Cookie is helpful for when you WANT to keep certain cookies, like a bank or credit union...something that needs cookies to keep track of who you are.
You can set it up to keep certain ones and trash the rest when closing the browser. For example I keep cookies for the forums, my credit union and places I shop at frequently.
Everything else I don't care about and is set to be deleted. With Private Browsing you cant go from page to page on a site and have it remember a login because there's no set cookie for it.

What would be wrong with just enabling Safari's "Private Browsing…" for those who are concerned about their "cookie trail and captured info"???

Then there shouldn't be any to even delete I suspect. But I'm just assuming that what it does — stops any tracking or harvesting???
- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.