MacBook Pro late 2011 pink screen and lines, won’t boot

Reaction score
Here’s an image of my issue
https://ibb.co/mFLT9x
After this it sometimes goes to gray screen sometimes just freezes but always will shut itself off in the end, I’ve tried pram reset along with smc but I’ve noticed my issue is a little different than others I’ve seen. This happened completely out of nowhere the Mac shut itself off and started doing this, any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very likely a GPU failure. 2011 MacBook Pro models with discrete graphics (usually NVIDIA) have been troublesome and GPU failures were common. If it is a GPU failure it will mean a new logic board or have it repaired someplace where they can do micro soldering on surface mounted components. Could be an expensive repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This happened completely out of nowhere the Mac shut itself off and started doing this, any suggestions?

I'd agree with chscag and probably the GPU has gone goofy.

But just in case it might be some software cause, try booting up using Safe Boot Mode and see if things change.

SBM: Bootup but press and hold the shift key immediately you hear the startup chime and until you see the spinning gear. Then choose username and login.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
This is a known issue with the model you have. Apple did have a recall but it has expired - unfortunately. Yes, it can fail that fast. I have one of the same model and so far the only issue is the occasional one pixel wide stripe of pink that runs vertically. It comes and goes which is very weird but it is still working. But I have a friend whose 2011 MBP just died and the graphics card failed. One day it worked and the next it was dead.

I really don't think the cost of repair will be worth it on a seven year old model. Just my opinion.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
i agree its not worth the expense, since I've got nothing to lose should i try reballing? also it wouldn't boot into safe mode, my brother is a skilled solderer i could have him try to solder on a new gpu, sounds like either way it won't last long though. is there anything else that could possibly cause this? I'm not too familier macs so I apologize if i sound a little ignorant

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've certainly nothing to lose by trying to repair it yourself. Do some googling before you attempt it though to find out how others did the repair. If you can find someone in your local area who knows how to work with micro soldering on surface mounted boards, you might luck out. Of course if your brother has experience in doing that, it would even be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I saw a video on Youtube that claimed the issue was not with the GPU or necessarily the solder, but a capacitor on the board. The narrator walked through micro-soldering a replacement cap on the board and showed that the GPU issue was completely solved by that. You might try searching for GPU and capacitor or you can watch this video (Language alert, he's a potty-mouth) about how to replace the cap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4R_LvDhJb4 The guy also has another video from earlier where he did more surgery on the board to scrape it, but as this video says, that's not really needed with the new cap he's using in the later video. Not for the faint of heart, but if you know a micro-solderer you know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had one of the devil 2011 machines. It was a tortuous journey but eventually, after three new logic boards, I was given a replacement under the extension programme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since it is not working I would say go for it. Try to repair it yourself. If nothing else you will learn from it and can come back and share what you found. I am aware I am on borrowed time with my 2011 MBP. I keep praying over mine and telling her she is a good computer but I am sure even that will eventually fail to work! ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I keep praying over mine and telling her she is a good computer but I am sure even that will eventually fail to work!

Here's hoping that will keep her going, but maybe keep her on an old ivory or granite base and keep some incense going on the side, but not letting any smoke into the Mac. :Smirk:

It seems almost like déjà vu as my old 2007 15" MBPro had the dead GPU problem they suffered from, but luckily I got it repaired just under the wire of Apple's extended repair program. And hey, it's still in use at times.

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the info and replies! I appreciate all the support, I’ll try to find out if it is the capacitor and if not I’ll do the reballing and if that fails I’ll get in touch with my brother, I’ll update here with what my success and failures are

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.