New MacBook Pro can't turn on after one year and three months

Reaction score
I bought a new MacBook Pro in December 2016, It can’t turn on and no power just after one year and three months. No damage and no water dropped on it, just dead itself Suddenly.

I brought it to Calgary chinook Apple store, they told me it need to replace logic board and would cost 625 dollars, almost half of the price of the MacBook.

I am a fan of Apple, I almost have all the devices from Apple. In my point of view Apple means technology and good quality. Nobody would like to spend 2000 dollars on a computer that will broken after one year.

Apple has earned a lot of money and built super modern Apple Park.Every product's value or price depends on it's quality, How can I believe a MacBook Pro last only one year and three months under the usual use. Is this still the best laptop in the world?

I know my Macbook Pro is out of warranty for three months, but everything should be reasonable.

First time dead: Nov 2017, 60% battery left, computer shut off itself, can’t turn on, charge half an hour, turn on ok, thought it is software problem
Second time dead: Mar 2018, 50% battery left, shut off itself, charge one night, never turn on again.

Mar 24, 2018 first visit chinook apple store, I left computer there

Mar 27, 2018 second visit chinook apple store, a technician David ask me replace logic board cost 625 dollars. I asked him this is a new computer and just no power, why is the fix cost so expensive? I had to take my MacBook Pro back and gave a bad feedback

Mar 29, 2018 After the bad feedback, the manager Sophie called me and let me call my credit card company to ask if I have extend warranty then contact with her, she can fix my MacBook Pro free if I don’t have extend insurance. After the call, I was very happy and shared the good news with my wife.

Then I checked with my credit card company and called back to Apple store, another staff told me the manager Sophie was not available, I left my Phone No., but no call from her within the next 6 days.

Apr 4, 2018 third time visit chinook apple store, I found a technician and the manager Sophie, I told them no extend warranty from credit card company, and expected Sophie can keep her promise to help me fix the MacBook free. She changed her mind and said: “No, I just hope so help you fix it for free, and you can choose take it away or pay 625 dollars.” No respect just money!

Repair No: R285229079
Date of Purchase: 15-Dec-16
Serial No: C17SN2MJGVC1
Apple support Case: 100490625596

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I'm sorry for your misfortune. Unfortunately, everything dies, sometimes suddenly, without warning. Hopefully, you will get a satisfactory result to your quest. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You do realize that this site is not associated in any way with Apple, right? Your post sounds like you want Apple to investigate, but all we are here are users helping one another. As Bob says, there are always machines, no matter how carefully made, that have issues early. That first failure in November of last year would have been a major warning sign for me and a cause to contact Apple while still under warranty.

I'd recommend you try to contact Apple directly at Apple.com.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes your machine is out of the 1st year of a 3 year possible AppleCare warranty. Did you not purchase the additional 2 years before the 1st year lapsed? If you had done so, the replacement of the logicboard would have been covered under the warranty (less than deductible if it applied).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please refer to Post # 3 and follow the advice given. As said, we are not affiliated in any way with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try taking it to one/some of the numerous Calgary certified Apple authorized service dealers instead if you don't like dealing with the Apple Store.

They may have some other options available to fix/repair it for you.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.