Best method of migrating data from iPhone 7 to new iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And something else interesting about iMazing... they state in their latest info that their backups are incremental.

That's rather interesting and I don't recall seeing anything like that mentioned.

I'll have to check when I do some changes for my wife's iPhone 6S iMazing backups probably tomorrow.

- Patrick
======

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm really glad I asked this question. I was initially a bit shy about doing so as I expected most would imagine I should know all about this already.O:)

The thread has provoked comment and background research and I am immensely grateful to all of you who have contributed.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And that "most" bit would be the unnerving part to me, at least without some sort of guarantee of what gets saved and restored. :Grimmace:

- Patrick
======

The reason I said most was that in the two occasions I have done this with devices running different iOS versions I might add the passwords for email accounts and MS apps had to be re entered. Otherwise everything was the same. Some apps needed updating of course but otherwise it was an easy way of migrating everything over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really glad I asked this question. I was initially a bit shy about doing so as I expected most would imagine I should know all about this already.O:)

The thread has provoked comment and background research and I am immensely grateful to all of you who have contributed.

Ian

And so am I Ian, most grateful.

It's quite amazing what can result from what appears to be a simple question that one may think is obvious but brings up the old adage I try to adhere to — never assume nuthin'!!!! ;D

So thank you.

And pleasant Easter Sunday Greetings to all who celebrate the occasion.

- Patrick
======

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well ladies and gentlemen, here is the promised feedback:

This morning I purchased an iPhone X from O2 which is my carrier and they have a shop in a Town nearby. I have purchased all of my iPhones from them over the years (including those for my wife) and thought it best to try there first.

The Guru at the shop, an Apple man as it happens, assured me that Restoring the iPhone via iTunes would include all the apps.

Knowing that I had iMazing and iCloud as alternatives I did the following:

1. Connected to iTunes via USB and had to do an software update to 11.3 before I could Restore.

2. Then I Restored from my iPhone 7 backup. Took 3 minutes.

3. All settings correct. All apps restored.

4. I had to input my Apple ID credentials several times as I progressed. For Apple Store, iTunes, iCloud and for those apps that were linked to my Apple ID including Keychain.

5. As regards the apps. All apps spontaneously re-downloaded. I did not have to do anything to initiate this.

For some 60 apps or so, the process was complete in just over 5 minutes; during which time I was able to continue the set up process, activate Apple ID, Face ID, fiddle around with settings and so forth - i.e. the app re-download went on in the background.

I did not have to wait for it to complete to use the iPhone.

As I purchased the X from a shop, I had to phone Apple to buy AppleCare plus. They run diagnostics, get proof of ownership, serial number and so on. Finally, when chatting to the Apple helper, he confirmed that iTunes backups include all apps.

But he did admit that Apple had not made clear the distinction between no longer able to purchase/download apps via iTunes - but still being able to restore these from an iTunes backup.

Conclusion: It is possible to restore all apps from an iTunes backup. - as well as all the usual music, photos, data, passwords, health etc.

I truly hope this clarifies things for future members.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Conclusion: It is possible to restore all apps from an iTunes backup. - as well as all the usual music, photos, data, passwords, health etc.

I truly hope this clarifies things for future members.

Thank you Ian for that information. I knew that I went through the same procedure as you did and my apps were restored along with data. I just couldn't remember if it was spontaneous or if I had to initiate the process first.

@Patrick:

Looks like we were both right, however as Ian pointed out, Apple hasn't made it very clear. I certainly wish they hadn't changed iTunes so that we no longer have access to the app store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I certainly wish they hadn't changed iTunes so that we no longer have access to the app store.

I guess that's just one of the "new & improved" features that we old Mavericks OS X users seem to have retained, at least what iTunes has that works for me:

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.17.35 PM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks Ian, and I just spent the morning and a bit more getting my wife's iPhone backed up, but just using her iMac using El Capt'n and after doing some installs and updates.

The iTunes kept insisting that there was some encryption password that needed entering which was odd as neither of us had ever used one other than the usual login one.

iTunes did offer and suggested that there were some apps that weren't in her iTunes library which I then installed and finally got her iTunes backup done, and also the iMazing one.

It was interesting to see a note that if encryption was disabled, some passwords and health and home data would be lost.

Anyway, all rather interesting and different as we had done a backup just a few weeks or maybe a month ago and had no such problems.

But he did admit that Apple had not made clear
And what an understatement!!! Blimey!!! :Oops:

- Patrick
======

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick

Just for info:

S1.jpg

When you attach an iPhone to the Mac through iTunes, ticking the Encrypt box has the advantage of backing up your passwords, health data etc. If you check the box, it prompts you (insists) to create a PW.

When you restore, this PW is also required.

Also, when you use iMazing, you have to give the PW each time you BU and if you restore.

I can't explain why you were challenged for a PW if you have never checked this box before. Such are the mysteries of life.

BTW, following my earlier post, I restored my iPhone 7 from my wife's iPhone 6 BU via iTunes so that she could have my "old" one. That too went without a hitch, apps and all.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you attach an iPhone to the Mac through iTunes, ticking the Encrypt box has the advantage of backing up your passwords, health data etc. If you check the box, it prompts you (insists) to create a PW.
… … …
Also, when you use iMazing, you have to give the PW each time you BU and if you restore.

I can't explain why you were challenged for a PW if you have never checked this box before. Such are the mysteries of life.

Thanks Ian,

The odd thing is that the encrypt box as you show was already checked, even iMazing wouldn't even continue until a correct password was finally entered. Neither would iTunes or even allow the password to be changed.

I finally found the one that worked in the Keychain Access.

Anyway rather strange and a PITA but now backed up and seemingly working.

Also rather strange as we had done similar backups without any problems maybe a month ago.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It stands to reason that an encrypted backup will require a password but the advantages make it worthwhile. Just another file in my password manager. Performing a restore on a new device from an icloud backup as suggested in the method I mentioned circumvents that. It does take a long time though. In the last time I used that method the person concerned did not own a computer so although the USB via iTunes method is the one I would choose too it's not always available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.