A question

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I would like to know if there is a significant or major difference between an imac that is quadcore 3.0Ghz versus the same imac quadcore but it being 3.8Ghz. Is it major the difference or minimal, or in between? Thank you :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hello again.

In absolute terms, there is a significant difference.

In user terms, the answer very much depends on what you intend using the Mac for.

For example, if it's surfing the web, streaming music, emails, Youtube videos, contracting PowerPoint (Keynote) presentations - and the like: the difference wouldn't inhibit your enjoyment of the Mac.

But if you want to do heavy photo editing, significant video editing, work with audio - all utilising the "big" apps that go with these things; then sure, you'd notice quite a difference.

But remember Processor speed is not the only factor - your RAM must be up to the jobs in hand as well. And for the "big" jobs, 16GB of RAM is the minimum and more would be even better.

Perhaps you can indicate your likely uses of the Mac?

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey Ian good to talk to you again. I am using my imac for music production - mine is a 3.8Ghz quadcore with 8B RAM but intend on very soon updating it to 16GB (the RAM, that is). I was just curious to know the answer, that is all. That is because, I read somewhere the 3.0Ghz quad-core is the one required (the minimal, if I'm not mistaken) for music production - but I just didnt intend on getting the minimal when I bought the imac. Had a choice between the 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz and the 3.8Ghz - all being quad-core. The first two, (3.4Ghz and 3.5Ghz) both share 1TB but mine, being 3.8Ghz has 2TB. Oh and the graphic cards was different or better, according to which version you got, but thats not what I got it for. Have my ps4 for that :D Thanks for the help again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In absolute terms, there is a significant difference.

Great succinct answer Ian.:)

For the OP...I would add that all things being equal...comparing a 3.0Ghz vs. 3.8Ghz CPU...means that the 3.8Ghz CPU will be approximately 27% faster. But it does not exactly work this way when comparing one computer vs. another...especially if the computers in question are different generations. Besides CPU speed...there are other things to take into account when comparing speed differences between computers...RAM speed, video hardware, logic board design, etc.

It would be MUCH better if we knew exactly what two iMac models these are...then we can give a MUCH better answer.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Great succinct answer Ian.:)

For the OP...I would add that all things being equal...comparing a 3.0Ghz vs. 3.8Ghz CPU...means that the 3.8Ghz CPU will be approximately 27% faster. But it does not exactly work this way when comparing one computer vs. another...especially if the computers in question are different generations. Besides CPU speed...there are other things to take into account when comparing speed differences between computers...RAM speed, video hardware, logic board design, etc.

It would be MUCH better if we knew exactly what two iMac models these are...then we can give a MUCH better answer.:)

- Nick

Hi Nick - besides the specifications I gave, the models are from 2017 (if Im not mistaken) and the processor is i5!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If both models are from the same year, they are likely using the same generation of CPUs and as such the 3.8 GHz CPU is 800 MHz faster than the 3.0 GHz one. If they were of different generations, it's harder to make that comparison. A 3.0 GHz CPU from the current generation is 'faster' than a 3.8 GHz CPU from a couple of generations ago.

But in most cases, it's not just the CPU speed that determines overall performance but also the GPU, amount of memory, type of storage and so on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick - besides the specifications I gave, the models are from 2017 (if Im not mistaken) and the processor is i5!

Great...thanks. The extra info helps.

My first thought is...the only 2017 iMac that the 3.0Ghz CPU comes in is one of the lower level 21" iMac's...and...the only 2017 iMac that the 3.8Ghz CPU comes in is one of the higher end 27" iMac's.

REALLY REALLY not fair to compare a lower level & lower cost 21" iMac to a higher end 27" iMac. There are so many other differences between the two other than the CPU speed.

It's kind of like saying...should I get the Ford Focus or the Porsche!;) Both will get you to work & the grocery store...but the Porsche is a lot more fun & faster! And with the iMac's there's soooo much more than that. Such as the 21" display vs. the 27" display. BIG difference.

My suggestion is...decide on the display size you would like 21" or 27"...then "split-hairs" which 21" or which 27" model to get.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Great...thanks. The extra info helps.

My first thought is...the only 2017 iMac that the 3.0Ghz CPU comes in is one of the lower level 21" iMac's...and...the only 2017 iMac that the 3.8Ghz CPU comes in is one of the higher end 27" iMac's.

REALLY REALLY not fair to compare a lower level & lower cost 21" iMac to a higher end 27" iMac. There are so many other differences between the two other than the CPU speed.

It's kind of like saying...should I get the Ford Focus or the Porsche!;) Both will get you to work & the grocery store...but the Porsche is a lot more fun & faster! And with the iMac's there's soooo much more than that. Such as the 21" display vs. the 27" display. BIG difference.

My suggestion is...decide on the display size you would like 21" or 27"...then "split-hairs" which 21" or which 27" model to get.:)

- Nick

Hi Nick, just to clarify, all of the three versions I made mention of are from the 2017 year and all are the 27inches. When I spoke about 3.0Ghz I wasn't referring to a specific model of the imac, just heard that it is the mininum required for music production yet also the 3.0Ghz being quadcore - just to clarify. I already purchased my imac, it being the 3.8Ghz version, what you refer as one of the higher end imacs of that year

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I spoke about 3.0Ghz I wasn't referring to a specific model of the imac...

Well...not exactly.;) Post #1 mentioned "an imac that is quadcore 3.0Ghz".:)

But yes...I do see in post #3 that you mentioned that you read somewhere that a 3.0Ghz quad-core CPU was the minimum for music production.

...just to clarify, all of the three versions I made mention of are from the 2017 year and all are the 27inches.

Yes...what was mentioned in post #3: "Had a choice between the 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz and the 3.8Ghz - all being quad-core"...does make that a true statement.:) But I think what was confusing things for me...was how a 3.0Ghz iMac was mentioned in post #1, and that all models were from 2017. With these details...the only iMac model that fits is a 2017 21" model.:)

Anyways...if you're looking at three 2017 27" iMac's (all of which have CPU's faster than 3.0Ghz)...and if your current iMac has a 3.8Ghz CPU...I'm not really sure mentioning that having a minimum of a 3.0GHz quad-core CPU for music production is important...since all iMac model's mentioned in this thread have CPU's faster than 3.0GHz.:)

And...if your current iMac has a 3.8Ghz CPU (must be an older model)...getting a 2017 iMac with a 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz, or 3.8Ghz CPU...may or may not have much (if any) speed increase (in terms of CPU).

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Well...not exactly.;) Post #1 mentioned "an imac that is quadcore 3.0Ghz".:)

But yes...I do see in post #3 that you mentioned that you read somewhere that a 3.0Ghz quad-core CPU was the minimum for music production.

Yes...what was mentioned in post #3: "Had a choice between the 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz and the 3.8Ghz - all being quad-core"...does make that a true statement.:) But I think what was confusing things for me...was how a 3.0Ghz iMac was mentioned in post #1, and that all models were from 2017. With these details...the only iMac model that fits is a 2017 21" model.:)

Anyways...if you're looking at three 2017 27" iMac's (all of which have CPU's faster than 3.0Ghz)...and if your current iMac has a 3.8Ghz CPU...I'm not really sure mentioning that having a minimum of a 3.0GHz quad-core CPU for music production is important...since all iMac model's mentioned in this thread have CPU's faster than 3.0GHz.:)

And...if your current iMac has a 3.8Ghz CPU (must be an older model)...getting a 2017 iMac with a 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz, or 3.8Ghz CPU...may or may not have much (if any) speed increase (in terms of CPU).

- Nick

Yes, Nick my mistake, me being dumb. Because my music is so important to me, and in general music production, well, I didn't just want to get the bare minimum for this task - budget wasn't so much of a problem, anyhoo. That's why I was making a fuss about the 3.0Ghz quad-core deal - that was revealed to me that it is the minimum required for works such as this, namely, music production. It was good for me to hear from you and Ian that what I have is significantly better and stronger than the minimum.
When you say, "And...if your current iMac has a 3.8Ghz CPU (must be an older model)...getting a 2017 iMac with a 3.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz, or 3.8Ghz CPU...may or may not have much (if any) speed increase (in terms of CPU)."
If I am reading this right, I think there is a confusion here, the 3.8Ghz quad-core iMac i have is a 2017 model.
Also, if, choosing between the three, won't make a difference in regard to speed, why did someone else mention above (I believe it was Ian) that there is a significant difference between a 3.0Ghz quadcore and a 3.8Ghz quadcore (3.0Ghz being slower)? Thank you very much!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also, if, choosing between the three, won't make a difference in regard to speed, why did someone else mention above (I believe it was Ian) that there is a significant difference between a 3.0Ghz quadcore and a 3.8Ghz quadcore (3.0Ghz being slower)? Thank you very much!

I was Me - or should that be I?

Anyway, I was comparing like with like. So, for the 2017 range that you mentioned, in absolute terms the 3.8 GHz is significantly faster than the3.0 GHz.

You have already noted my caveats regarding the uses to which the iMac is being put and the need for a corresponding increase in RAM for heavy use.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
I was Me - or should that be I?

Anyway, I was comparing like with like. So, for the 2017 range that you mentioned, in absolute terms the 3.8 GHz is significantly faster than the3.0 GHz.

You have already noted my caveats regarding the uses to which the iMac is being put and the need for a corresponding increase in RAM for heavy use.

Ian

Hi again Ian. I know what you are saying but what are you referring to when you mention your caveat regarding the uses to which the imac is being put - the part about RAM I got. Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It was Me - or should that be I?

Ian

Either one in that case. Well, you asked.
So, since your name isn't Mean... ;)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one, "MAC" in between "tosh".

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Ian. I know what you are saying but what are you referring to when you mention your caveat regarding the uses to which the imac is being put - the part about RAM I got. Thanx.

In post #2, I pointed out the difference between a casual user and a heavy user of an iMac.

The details are in my post, but it comes down to this: if your use is light, the difference in processor speed would not impinge on your enjoyment; whereas if you were a heavy user with Audio, Photo, Video editing, then processor speed is not your only consideration. RAM is working memory and for heavy work, the more you have, the better.

In a less-than-scientific summary: processor speed determines the speed with which you can carry out a single process or action - RAM determines how many processes or actions you can carry out at the same time.

Or perhaps, better: A CPU can be fast, but only with enough RAM can it be efficient, and vice versa.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
If both models are from the same year, they are likely using the same generation of CPUs and as such the 3.8 GHz CPU is 800 MHz faster than the 3.0 GHz one. If they were of different generations, it's harder to make that comparison. A 3.0 GHz CPU from the current generation is 'faster' than a 3.8 GHz CPU from a couple of generations ago.

But in most cases, it's not just the CPU speed that determines overall performance but also the GPU, amount of memory, type of storage and so on.
Hi razoredge, I have gathered the GPU is the graphics card but how does that affect and increase speed, as you say? And storage too? Thanx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.