Ethernet cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
Basic info...Comcast is coming out saturday to hook up my cable again (ditching Direct TV). I already have Comcast internet and they are installing my TV and Xfinity Home security. Right now we have the iMac 2009, 1 iPad, 2 iPhone 8+, 2017 MBP, Samsung QLED 65" curved Smart TV. The Home security will have 8 door/window sensors, 3 cameras, 1 motion detector, and the touch screen tablet.

Comcast has suggested that I connect my iMac with an ethernet cable since it's fairly close...same room as modem and Airport Extreme. By the time the cable is run around the room, less than40'. i'm going to assume that the cable is plugged into the only available port on the AP, which is the top port. I have found some Cat6 flat cable on Amazon that has excellent reviews..thoughts on this cable, or should I get the round cable?

Of all the equipment listed, which would be the better on 2.4 and 5ghz? I also have a guest network...any advantage to splitting equipment up between the two networks?

This is all very confusing to me, and I would hope the Comcast tech has the know how to make this all fly.

Thanks again...I seem to be a regular lately...lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Comcast has suggested that I connect my iMac with an ethernet cable since it's fairly close...

Is there something special about this setup that the Comcast tech is suggesting the ethernet cable? Just curious.

- Nick

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't the tech...they come out saturday. The suggestion was that by taking the iMac off Wi-Fi, there would be more bandwidith (my term...probably wrong) for the other equipment to use, such as streaming movies etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The suggestion was that by taking the iMac off Wi-Fi, there would be more bandwidith (my term...probably wrong) for the other equipment to use, such as streaming movies etc.

While technically this may be true (from a techy-geeky-nerdy point of view);)...unless this is relatively slow internet service (Mbps)...I don't think the WiFi bandwidth gained by connecting the iMac via ethernet is going to make much difference. And of course the big benefit of WiFi is not having to deal with ethernet cables.:)

- Nick

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At Test My Speed...just now...120mbps down...8.5 up. Apparently they are upping my speed with the new services.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think the WiFi bandwidth gained by connecting the iMac via ethernet is going to make much difference. And of course the big benefit of WiFi is not having to deal with ethernet cables.:)

- Nick
I have to agree with that.

As far as the flat vs. round ethernet cable goes there won't be any real difference in performance. Some people find the flat cable a bit less prone to snagging on other cables / equipment but you've got such a short cable run that shouldn't be much of an issue.

BTW as far as what goes on the 5GHZ network and what goes on the 2.4 GHZ network the only thing I have on my 2.4 GHZ network is things where speed is not an issue such as my wireless printer.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK..thanks guys...no cable it is. One less headache to medicate. I'll be back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have Comcast, not that it matters to the discussion, but I have my MBP connected by BOTH WiFi and Ethernet. Most traffic goes over the Ethernet and the speed is very good with my local area network. The WiFi has to be there for my Apple Watch to unlock the MBP for me, and as far as I am aware, carries little or no other traffic, although it does seem to see my iPhone and iPad for iMazing. I do think that the Ethernet interface is faster, but the throttle on your Internet speed will be the modem from Comcast, not the Ethernet or WiFi. So you don't really need the Ethernet unless you have interference and slowdowns on the WiFi connection. I'd say give it a miss for now, you can always get the cable later if it turns out you need it.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacInWin....that's the plan for now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At Test My Speed...just now...120mbps down...8.5 up. Apparently they are upping my speed with the new services.

120 Mbps download is pretty decent service...very close to what I currently have. I use WiFi for everything...and have no issues.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Decent?

I would kill for it almost. Rural Australia a startling 6.7Mbps!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Decent?

I would kill for it almost. Rural Australia a startling 6.7Mbps!

I know Harry...some of us around the globe do have internet speed challenges. I know Lisa from Ohio does too.

If you want faster internet...maybe you need to move to Brisbane or Sydney!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.