Unwanted Time Machine backup

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A few days ago my wife reported that TM kept giving her reminders that she had not backed up for how ever many days and could I stop that. I had a look at her TM settings. She doesn’t use it at all at the moment, just a CCC clone on EHD. There doesn’t seem to be an on/off button on TM in High Sierra. The box for automatic backups is unticked. I then got a dialogue box asking if I would like to use the CCC Clone EHD for TM backups, naturally I said no. The next day we found that TM had performed a new backup to her CCC EHD.
As I don’t have a spare EHD we will need to wait until we are home to completely erase the EHD and perform a new CCC backup because I can think of no other way to get rid of the TM backup which has nearly filled the EHD.
I don’t understand where the on/off button has gone or why it would backup to a drive I specifically asked it not to. Bit of a nuisance when you are away from home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I opened the TM application and there is a box labelled "Back Up Automatically" there. I have mine un-checked and TM does not run automatically. Not as good as an on/off setting, but that is apparently how one does it now.

EDIT: I clicked on the "?" and that is confirmed by the resulting help box.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ah well, I guess it will go down as an unexplained glitch. Currently up in Sydney for a wedding, tomorrow back to Bali. So I will check it out then. Annie has a TM backup there so can update that, erase the current backup and create a new CCC clone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.