can I use smartTV as MAC monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27" 2.66GHz i5 1TB HDD 12GRAM
I have a MAC 2009 27" running Sierra.
I also have a large SONY smartTV in the same room.

I would like to do 2 things:
1. use the TV as a mirrored or extended display
2. stream from my MAC to the TV

Is this possible, and any tricks to doing it?

Thx

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Easy to connect as a second display via cable. Streaming, very difficult to do if you mean via WiFi.
I have a similar setup. A MacBook Pro and a Sony Bravia smart TV.
I can watch live sport via internet and connect the MBP to the TV via a hdmi cable for a big display but it’s easier with an iPhone. I use a hdmi cable and a lightening bolt to hdmi adaptor to connect the iPhone.
You can stream via WiFi to the Sony with an android phone but no similar app is available for iOS.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No tricks necessary, most SmartTV's have a HDMI input, so plug a cable in and your Mac will recognize the monitor and allow you to use it as a second display (mirror or extended) as you see fit.

From a streaming functionality, since it's a second display you can just move the window over to it or you can go down the DLNA route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.