How do I output the "space" character on an iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
I'm using an iPhone 5s under the latest iOS.

I think the iPhone dictation is phenomenal, but I have one problem:

I know that a space will automatically follow most punctuation marks, but I can't generate a space on its own -- I have to get out of dictation mode and key the space manually. All the punctuation tables I've seen say that the command is "space bar", but that does nothing; also commanding "space" gives me just that -- the word "space".

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a common problem?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The "space bar" command is not for adding a space arbitrarily but rather to add a space between words that would be hyphenated normally. There isn't a command to add a space randomly since that gets added between words and after punctuations anyway. The bigger question is what is your need for random spaces?

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if I really wanted random spaces, I would just let my cat walk across the keyboard.

This doesn't happen very often. Offhand, I can't think of a good example, but you get a space after (but not before) an ellipses. To fix this imbalance, I have to get out of dictation anyway to move the cursor and insert that space with the keyboard, so that doesn't count.

Let's just keep this thread in limbo for the time being, and if I do get a better example, I'll post it. Don't hold your breath. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, if I really wanted random spaces, I would just let my cat walk across the keyboard.

And it might work better as well. ;D

As Ashwin says, it doesn't always work as one may want, but it will work if the usage meets the specs.

See this for an example:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8026614

PS: Or maybe see this if it still works:
A double press of the Siri key on the keyboard inserts a space within text just like the spacebar does. How’s that for details?
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/29/dictation-key-is-space-bar/

But, why not just give the old spacebar a tap and get — yup, a real space. clap.gif

:D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you saying "space", or, "spacebar"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you saying "space", or, "spacebar"?

Read his first post. If he says "space" it enters the word space. And apparently "space bar" doesn't work either.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dang it! I came that close! On my iPhone, I finished a sentence with a period, and then took a short break, during which time the mic shut off. I touched the mic and continued dictation, but no space showed up.

It doesn't contribute to the reason for my post, though. I still have to go to the keyboard to supply the missing space. I just found it interesting that the space that gets added between (read "after") words and after punctuation doesn't survive the time delay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It doesn't contribute to the reason for my post, though. I still have to go to the keyboard to supply the missing space. I just found it interesting that the space that gets added between (read "after") words and after punctuation doesn't survive the time delay.

Maybe give some of the third party iOS software that can apparently improve the default builtin dictation, at least as far as Apple will allow them to do so.

Something like this:
Dramatically improve iOS dictation using Google’s Gboard
https://www.cultofmac.com/469485/google-gboard-improve-ios-dictation/

Or several other suggestions via the links here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=RdG3Wu7lDtDe8AfY3rzQCg

It doesn't contribute to the reason for my post, though. I still have to go to the keyboard to supply the missing space.
Hmmm…??? It that actually a long or hard awkward stretch for you to tap the spacebar??? :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.