Deleting Trash from Exernal Drive

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. I recently discovered (much to my embarrassment) that my external drive has almost reached capacity. I'm trying to delete 3/4 of the files, but it is taking way too long. I've Googled it and the solutions don't match what I have on my iMac. It was suggested that I go into Finder preferences, click advanced and uncheck "empty trash securely." However, there is no such option. Only "Eliminate Warning" or something like that. Anybody have this problem? I sincerely hope you can help.

Thanks so much in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Move unwanted stuff to nTrash,. and with nthe external still connected and powered up, empty the Trash. Can't help with Secure Empty as you did not provide Mac or operating system details, always vitally important. Just lkeave it to empty overnight and patience is a virtue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I hope the external drive you are referring to is not your Time Machine backup drive? There are procedures to remove the file from Time Machine, I just want to be sure first?

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't provide needed information. My system is OS X ElCapitan 10.11.6. I have left it to empty for two days now and it's still full. Very full. Like almost 3 million files.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, I'm afraid to say, it's the only external drive I have that uses Time Machine. Should I just dump my iMac in the trash now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I'm afraid to say, it's the only external drive I have that uses Time Machine. Should I just dump my iMac in the trash now?

No, but you're going to need to come up with another Time Machine backup drive and start over. You just very nicely trashed your Time Machine backups. The only way to delete files and regain space from a Time Machine backup drive is to use Time Machine itself.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, but you're going to need to come up with another Time Machine backup drive and start over. You just very nicely trashed your Time Machine backups. The only way to delete files and regain space from a Time Machine backup drive is to use Time Machine itself.

I’m going to overlook your sarcasm and pretend you just had a bad day and actually wanted to help. I haven’t deleted all my files. Just the ones prior to 2017. Does that make a difference?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I’m going to overlook your sarcasm and pretend you just had a bad day and actually wanted to help. I haven’t deleted all my files. Just the ones prior to 2017. Does that make a difference?

Sorry if you took it that way as it was not meant to be sarcasm. But we have had folks in the same situation as you who arbitrarily deleted files and folders from their Time Machine external backup drive and then placed the blame on Time Machine or Apple.

And yes, deleting the files prior to 2017 disturbs and upsets the integrity of the Time Machine backup flow. So in effect, the entire backup sequence would need to be started over. Consider this for a moment: How valuable is keeping backups prior to 2017? You may have a good reason for doing so, but generally backups kept for more than 6 months or so are usually less valuable than those that you made during the last month.

Also, if you have a clone backup (CCC or SuperDuper) that may be all you need. CCC effectively does the same thing as Time Machine if you set the cloning to archive files that it deletes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry if you took it that way as it was not meant to be sarcasm. But we have had folks in the same situation as you who arbitrarily deleted files and folders from their Time Machine external backup drive and then placed the blame on Time Machine or Apple.

And yes, deleting the files prior to 2017 disturbs and upsets the integrity of the Time Machine backup flow. So in effect, the entire backup sequence would need to be started over. Consider this for a moment: How valuable is keeping backups prior to 2017? You may have a good reason for doing so, but generally backups kept for more than 6 months or so are usually less valuable than those that you made during the last month.

Also, if you have a clone backup (CCC or SuperDuper) that may be all you need. CCC effectively does the same thing as Time Machine if you set the cloning to archive files that it deletes.

Thank you for explaining. I’m not totally sure I understand everything, but I’ll take a look at it in the morning with a fresh mind. I’m really not that interested in saving files more than two years old. That’s why I was trying to delete them. I was concerned that my external drive was getting full and I can’t afford a new drive or a new computer. If I screwed things up, I’m the only one at fault. Not the computer or Apple. Thanks again for trying to straighten me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why not consider formatting the drive using Disk Utility to mac OS Extended (Jopurnaled) which will erase it comp[letely and use saySuperDuper or CarbonCopy Cloner yto make a clone, or complete duplicate, of your internal hard drive and simply use Smart Backup every week or two to bring it up to date.

Further in the event of problems you can boot from the external.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@billinden

My simple view of Time Machine and a cloned backup like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!) is this:

TM runs inoffensively in the background, initially backing up the entire HDD and doing incremental BUs hourly for 24 hours, then daily, weekly and so on. So it's always up-to-date without any intervention from you.

TM is there to recover something deleted by accident or perhaps become corrupted. This applies to apps, files, folders, photos - even emails although the restoration process is slightly more complex.

TM can also be used to restore your Mac's entire HDD and if you buy a new Mac, will restore all your data and settings to the new computer.

A Cloned BU makes an exact copy (clone) of your Mac's HDD at a single point in time - chosen by you. You can BU as often as you feel appropriate.

Each cloned BU therefore relates to how things are at that chosen point in time.

(You can set it up to archive those things that have been deleted since the last BU - though if you have Time Machine as well, that is less important).

A Clone is bootable, which means you can boot up your Mac and continue working on it until some fault or other is sorted.

So, you can see that they serve different, though slightly overlapping, purposes.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Now What?

@billinden

My simple view of Time Machine and a cloned backup like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!) is this:

TM runs inoffensively in the background, initially backing up the entire HDD and doing incremental BUs hourly for 24 hours, then daily, weekly and so on. So it's always up-to-date without any intervention from you.

TM is there to recover something deleted by accident or perhaps become corrupted. This applies to apps, files, folders, photos - even emails although the restoration process is slightly more complex.

TM can also be used to restore your Mac's entire HDD and if you buy a new Mac, will restore all your data and settings to the new computer.

A Cloned BU makes an exact copy (clone) of your Mac's HDD at a single point in time - chosen by you. You can BU as often as you feel appropriate.

Each cloned BU therefore relates to how things are at that chosen point in time.

(You can set it up to archive those things that have been deleted since the last BU - though if you have Time Machine as well, that is less important).

A Clone is bootable, which means you can boot up your Mac and continue working on it until some fault or other is sorted.

So, you can see that they serve different, though slightly overlapping, purposes.

Ian

Okay, although I sincerely appreciate all the good feedback, I'm still not clear on what to do, but I decided I should start over from the beginning, which meant put all the files back on my external drive until I know what needs to be done. Trouble is, all the files that I deleted from my external drive (all but 2017 and 2018) are in my "Trash". The system will not allow be to put them back on my external drive. So, it looks like I'm screwed. To empty the trash means waiting for who knows how long for it to finish. It could take weeks. If anyone feels like they have a solution, please feel free to end my frustrations. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If your external hard drive is used ONLY for Time Machine (which it should be for Time Machine) then TM will delete the oldest files once the disk gets full. It's automatic - you don't have to do anything and that includes worrying about it getting full.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks

If your external hard drive is used ONLY for Time Machine (which it should be for Time Machine) then TM will delete the oldest files once the disk gets full. It's automatic - you don't have to do anything and that includes worrying about it getting full.

That's good to know. Wished I had known that before. The only other thing I used my external drive for is my cell phone pics when my phone gets full. I didn't delete those. Still, I have this problem of the files being my my trash and now I don't know how to either put them back on my external drive or delete them quickly. (see my above post).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see you have pictures on the drive. Basically, you are going to have to reformat the drive and start all over. Trying to put the trash back to the drive won't work, the backup database is totally hammered and ruined. So copy off the pictures that are there to somewhere else and erase the drive by using Disk Utility to erase and reformat it. After you have erased the drive with Drive Utility, then to make Trash look clean, you will have to resort to using Terminal.

CAUTION: What I am about to suggest is VERY, VERY powerful, and if you do it wrong, you can erase your entire hard drive, so read everything first and be very careful. Double check everything. This set of steps cannot be undone and you don't have a working backup, so this is a high-wire act with no net.

Open Terminal.

Type in this, exactly (Do not hit return at the end of the line yet):

Code:
rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Check that you have entered it properly, and then hit Return. The command will execute immediately, with no further warnings. That should empty the trash. Basically the "rm" command is remove, the -r says to make it recursive (that is, burrow down to all folders and all files, and the "f" says to Force the removal. The "~/.Trash/*" points to YOUR trashcan in YOUR folder and the "*" says "everything." So the command is to remove (including all files and all folders) all files in MY TRASH. That's what you want, so that should do.

If that doesn't work, you can try this:

Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

After double checking that you have entered it correct, hit Return and you will be prompted for a password. Enter your Admin password carefully. It will NOT show on the Terminal. Hit Return once you have the password typed in and the command will execute immediately with no further warning. The addition of "sudo" make you a super user for a while, giving the command even more power.

Once the trash is empty, you can use the newly formatted drive and do a clean start on Time Machine, or for a CCC or SD clone backup.

OP
B
Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see you have pictures on the drive. Basically, you are going to have to reformat the drive and start all over. Trying to put the trash back to the drive won't work, the backup database is totally hammered and ruined. So copy off the pictures that are there to somewhere else and erase the drive by using Disk Utility to erase and reformat it. After you have erased the drive with Drive Utility, then to make Trash look clean, you will have to resort to using Terminal.

CAUTION: What I am about to suggest is VERY, VERY powerful, and if you do it wrong, you can erase your entire hard drive, so read everything first and be very careful. Double check everything. This set of steps cannot be undone and you don't have a working backup, so this is a high-wire act with no net.

Open Terminal.

Type in this, exactly (Do not hit return at the end of the line yet):

Code:
rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Check that you have entered it properly, and then hit Return. The command will execute immediately, with no further warnings. That should empty the trash. Basically the "rm" command is remove, the -r says to make it recursive (that is, burrow down to all folders and all files, and the "f" says to Force the removal. The "~/.Trash/*" points to YOUR trashcan in YOUR folder and the "*" says "everything." So the command is to remove (including all files and all folders) all files in MY TRASH. That's what you want, so that should do.

If that doesn't work, you can try this:

Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

After double checking that you have entered it correct, hit Return and you will be prompted for a password. Enter your Admin password carefully. It will NOT show on the Terminal. Hit Return once you have the password typed in and the command will execute immediately with no further warning. The addition of "sudo" make you a super user for a while, giving the command even more power.

Once the trash is empty, you can use the newly formatted drive and do a clean start on Time Machine, or for a CCC or SD clone backup.

Pretty scary stuff, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to help me out. You must be some kind of a genius. I plan to copy and past those codes to make sure I have them right. It's hard to tell where the spaces are or aren't otherwise. Thanks again so very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nay, I'm not that smart. I just did some research before when I had objects in the trash that would not delete and I remembered where I had seen the solution. Good luck with it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Actually billinden, Jake is very smart. He's a stalwart contributor to these Forums.

We just don't tell him! - in case he needs a bigger hat;);D

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.