Apple pushing 2FA more than usual??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Today, on all the iDevices linked to my Apple ID (that includes my wife's) and my iMac I have been pushed to activate 2FA.

This came as a Notification on the iDevices and the only way to get rid of this was to allow it to direct me into Settings where I could accept or "decline for now".

On the iMac, it appeared as a number 1 attached to the System Preferences icon in my Dock To get rid of it there, I had to go into the iCloud settings and hit "continue"; but nothing happened after that and 2FA is not activated.

This is the first time that I recall ever getting pushed Notifications on all Mac products.

I support 2FA in other situations, but have qualms about 2FA in respect of Apple ID in particular - for example: I was advised that if I agreed to 2FA on my iPhone, the 6 digit code would be sent to my preferred device - which just happens to be my iPhone!

Have you regulars had such a pushy experience recently?

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I enabled 2FA a long time ago, so no issues there. When I've logged into my Phone, 2FA request goes to my Mac where I have to Allow it and then the 6 digit code is generated that I have to enter on the phone to sign in. I don't believe you get to do the 2FA on the same device you are signing in with, that negates the whole purpose of the 2FA protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Seems to be. I had an elderly gentleman bring his iPhone into my office yesterday because it wanted him to set it up. I explained how it worked and set it up for him. His one worry was it was his only apple device but when I showed him how the verification code would appear on the phone he was fine.

Now it is on my husband's iphone but it offers to let you opt out which I did for him. He can't handle a password so I just accept that and the fact 2FA would be another hassle for him. After 38 years of marriage I pick my battles. ;)

BTW: if your iPhone is listed as a trusted device the code appears on it! I signed into my apple ID on my MP and the code appeared on the MP, my iPad, and my iPhone. I have commented on this before in another thread. I find it strange that the device they are asking for verification on is the one the code gets sent to. But if you only have one apple device it is kind of essential.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Today, on all the iDevices linked to my Apple ID (that includes my wife's) and my iMac I have been pushed to activate 2FA.

I received the same message this afternoon on both my iPhone and iMac. I opted out on both as that would have set 2FA on not only my devices but on my wife's iPhone. Like Lisa's husband she would not be able to handle 2FA. Just my opinion but I consider 2FA to be more trouble than it's worth. If Apple comes up with some better method of security than 2FA, I might then go for it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I should go back and see how I set this up, since it's been so long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Go to https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin You can setup 2FA there. It use to be you could add and delete trusted devices but the site has changed and danged if I can figure out where to do that. I do know all the devices I am signed into are considered to be trusted. This means if I use any of my devices to access my apple id a notice pops up on the device - and all my other devices - warning me of someone accessing my account from the approximate area I live in. I click allow and the code I have to put in appears on the device I am using to access my account. Baffles me as to how that makes things safer but I guess if I had only one device it is nice.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.