"Inherited" a QNAP NAS and want to set it up??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27" 2.66GHz i5 1TB HDD 12GRAM
Hi,
A family member bought a QNAP TS-231 dual-bay NAS awhile back and installed a single, new 3TB drive in it.
He had all sorts of trouble setting it up on his system and eventually gave up and offered it to me. : )
He is not very computer savvy, not that I am an expert for sure.

Anyway, I'd like to set this up as a secondary drive for my iMAC system at home. My needs are simple.
I would use it strictly for storage ... pic files, music files, data files, etc.
No fancy multi-user networking .. just my iMAC.

Any advice before I embark on this?

Thx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Didn't know if you knew what "NAS" stands for & means...but for clarity...it's a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device is a storage device connected to a network that allows storage and retrieval of data from a centralized location for authorized network users and heterogeneous clients (internet definition).

Sounds to me you simply want an external hard drive. I think that all you should need to do is plug it into your computer...format it for use with the macOS...and start using it to store the items you mentioned.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't know if you knew what "NAS" stands for & means...but for clarity...it's a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device is a storage device connected to a network that allows storage and retrieval of data from a centralized location for authorized network users and heterogeneous clients (internet definition).

Sounds to me you simply want an external hard drive. I think that all you should need to do is plug it into your computer...format it for use with the macOS...and start using it to store the items you mentioned.:)

- Nick

Pretty much. No need to network. I get enough of that at work.
I don't need to network at home. I can actually walk to the next room and talk to somebody. : )

So, I have to basically really dumb-down this NAS and use it as an external drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, I have to basically really dumb-down this NAS and use it as an external drive.

Shouldn't even need any software. Just turn it on...plug it into your Mac...launch Disk Utility...format for macOS. That NAS enclosure is big-time overkill for what you need. A very simple external enclosure like this is all that's needed (if you didn't have the NAS enclosure). $20 vs. $190:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...xternal_hard_drive-_-9SIA6PF60T8633-_-Product

A6PF_1314905156084333459GJfz7DeDo.jpg

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've decide to sell off the NAS. I don't really need that.
I'll stick with an external HDD.

Thx all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.