• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interesting Security snooping for Australia New South Wales residents - not Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Interesting article… and seems a bit Orwellian scary…
BY CLAIRE REILLY
MARCH 19, 2018 5:00 AM PDT

How I went dark in Australia's surveillance state for 2 years
They called me the nameless one, the ghost who commutes, the silent passenger who refused to get a transport card.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-i-wen...0aai6f&bhid=100000000000000000000000000175021

August 1, 2016. The day I'd been dreading. Sydney had finally abolished paper train tickets and I was getting ready to erase my identity.

The Australian state of New South Wales had been gradually transitioning away from paper tickets for more than two years. In the interests of entering the digital era, Transport NSW introduced the new 'tap-on, tap-off' Opal card. A contactless travel card, named after Australia's distinctive rainbow-hued Opal gemstone, it's similar to London's Oyster card and the San Francisco Clipper.

Welcome to the future! No more paper tickets! Top up your Opal card online! Set up a direct debit, download the accompanying app and track your spending, you mouth-breathing luddite -- this is the 21st century!

But if this was my ticket to the future, I was not on board.

I wonder if any members were affected or concerned???

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, the transit authorities in large US cities long ago did away with paper tickets. The New York Transit Authority issues what it calls a "Metro Card" which can be filled by paying on line with your credit card.

And here in Texas you are issued a digital sticker for your auto which allows you to use the toll roads without having to stop at a toll both to pay. Cameras record your auto passing thru and automatically deduct the toll from your account which is tied to a valid credit card.

So dear Australians.... welcome to the "Big Brother Society". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Opel is just fine and Harbour Bridge and Tunnel, Motorway and Tollways have been using digital stickers for more than ten years.

That queueing to give your money to a rude disgruntled railways employee is G-O-N-E thank heavens. Whoever Claire Reilly maybe, she is behind the times and she ain't a prominent journalist.

To establish the credentials of the article Patrick read how to make your Mac safe. Step 1 download Mackeeper. That kills that article's believability stone dead.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To establish the credentials of the article Patrick read how to make your Mac safe. Step 1 download Mackeeper. That kills that article's believability stone dead.

??? huh… You lost me there Harry, and I didn't see anything about Mackeeper at the site if that's what you were implying or how it's related to the article.

But as I mentioned, the article's author does seem to be a bit paranoid or an old style hippie and maybe out of date hence my reason for posting, as you seem to live in the New South Wales it was referring to and would no doubt add some corrections.
And thanks for those.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I ever go to CNET on your link on the right nhand side of pic #1 there is a 'Make your Mac safer' window promoting Mackeeper. Could be different ad for different days/countries.

Opel has nothing to do with snooping. It is merely a railway/bus/tram/ferry pre purchased ticket and you can re-charge much like a cellphone by purchasing credit at a store or railway station or online by direct debit or credit card.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Likewise here when it comes to CNET. Their pages are loaded with ads and junk downloads. I didn't see anything about Mackeeper when I checked the site but there were lots of "download this and that" links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Harry or Patrick, are either of you using browser add-ons/extensions like Ghostery or AdBlock Plus? I don't see any adds on that page when I visit using High Sierra Safari w/ both extensions? The only thing I have is a "video" window with nothing playing and no way to close it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course Bob I was only responding to Patrick's question. Canada must be way behind if they do not have this way of paying for transport.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Bob
Harry or Patrick, are either of you using browser add-ons/extensions like Ghostery or AdBlock Plus?

Yes Bob, I'm usually using Ad Block but disabled it check foe any mackeeper ad as per harry's post but still didn't see any mackeeper ad or what he was referring to.

But No to using Ghostery as I stopped using it for various reasons I don't recall all.

@harry
I just got the impression in that article that the author was proud she was avoiding being spied upon and being captured by various cameras and I just posted it in case any of it was true, and especially as you seem to live in that Australian jurisdiction and maybe they had implemented something different that wasn't mentioned.

It just happened to be a linked article I thought I'd take a peek at.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
When I can get around to it I will just put my app in for my bus pass and travel for free. App being application of course :Cool::Cool:

As for contact less? We had a holiday in Venice a couple of years back and when we came to book out of the hotel I gave the receptionist my card. He went into the office to process it and came back a minute later saying it had been refused!!! so we tried the card of SWMBO it it too failed. After a call to our Frence back it turned out the bloke in the hotel had been trying to use the contactless. It only lets you go to 30€ on a French card ! No little wonderi t bounced! I don't like contactless cards and we both opyed for pin number cards for our English debit cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.