overclock macs?

D

doox00

Can you overclock macs like you can with pc's? I have my amd x2 3800+, which is default of 2ghz overclocked to 2.7ghz, you able to overclock mac's as well?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Not as easily.

Please use the search function of this forum, and you will find many answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't know why you couldn't over-clock the intel chips. I have no idea how to do it, but I bet you could and am sure this sort of thing is already being done in the PC world with the Core Duo chips.

It will void your warranty though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Well...I've read some accounts of overclocking, and it just does not sound like a good idea...to many reports of crashing and overheating of the like..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
You may want to check MacMod (www.macmod.com) they have more information about it, also links to software to overclock both the CPU and the GPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i feel that intel macs will be more overclockable than ppc macs
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
coach_z said:
i feel that intel macs will be more overclockable than ppc macs
-chris

Agreed. Since over-clocking is rather big in the PC world so it is bound to catch up with the Mac world and sooner rather than later..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
baggss said:
Agreed. Since over-clocking is rather big in the PC world so it is bound to catch up with the Mac world and sooner rather than later..

Maybe we shouldn't forget that many PC mainboards are somehow made for playing with clock speeds and core voltages. Either through BIOS settings or jumper settings.
Apple does use Intel CPUs and chipsets, yet they don't use standard PC mainboards. And I highly doubt their board will have any overclock features out of stock.
That said, the iMac and Mac mini have a socketed CPU...so nothing keeps you from throwing in a faster CPU, as soon as CPU prices drop, as long as the cooling system can take it.
A Mac mini 1.5GHz Core Solo can easily take a 2.16GHz Core Duo. It doesn't get very much hotter, and certainly runs much faster, and more reliable than any overclock solution. Intel CPU prices will drop, that's for sure.

OP
I

iMacMan

baggss said:

yes. it probably is a lot easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.